• upload_2016-9-4_18-45-0.png
    upload_2016-9-4_18-45-0.png
    936.9 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
@JohnW2

Can you please kindly confirm I understood you correctly?:
Screenshot_20160904_193101.jpg

@EFLImpudence

By following your Diagram the switch I want remove will no longer have any connections as I am disconnecting all 6 wires going to it, correct?

Many thanks.

No you must put the L2 wires in separate blocks. That is 4 blocks in all.
By following your Diagram the switch I want remove will no longer have any connections as I am disconnecting all 6 wires going to it, correct?
Yes correct. It will be completely disconnected.

@JohnW2 Can you please kindly confirm I understood you correctly?:
NO, that is not correct - your lights and fan would both be on permanently if you did that (regardless of the other switch). (what you seem to have missed is that the 'top' and 'bottom' terminals in your picture are electrically connected). If you wait a few minutes, I will illustrate what I meant.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Here you go ....
upload_2016-9-4_21-26-46.png

As I said, swap L1 and L2 if the other switch works 'upside down. You can either have two separate 2-way connector blocks, as I have shown, or else one 4-way strip - but all 4 connections should be to the same side.

Kind Regards, John

Gentleman,

Many thanks for your help. I will sort it tomorrow and feedback if any problems.

Hope this post with the images attached will helps others.

Again, thank you.

Its the fan. So looking at the front of the switch from the left: Fuse | Fan | Light
I was afraid you might say that.
There's something not right with the wiring, so -

I would advise you to go with your original proposal and John's wiring.

Let us know if, after you have done it, there are any odd happenings such as the light only works when the fan is on, something won't turn off, or similar.

I was afraid you might say that. There's something not right with the wiring, so I would advise you to go with your original proposal and John's wiring.
Indeed. The fact that I was struggling to make sense of what was going on with the wiring at that pair of switches was one of the reasons I suggested leaving it all alone and doing as I mentioned, at the other pair of switches - at least that would mean that the OP would have the same functionality as whatever functionality he has now (at least, with set of positions of the switches which are to be removed)!
Let us know if, after you have done it, there are any odd happenings such as the light only works when the fan is on, something won't turn off, or similar.
Again, indeed. In fact, looking back, I'm not certain that I necessarily understand correctly what he was saying about the current functionality when he wrote:
Did you mean when the switch gang for the fan is on? If so then yes. But as it is 2 gang you can have the fan on with no light and vice versa. But pressing the switch does switch it on and off. Hope this makes sense.

Kind Regards, John

Without the strappers,
this is what's left.

upload_2016-9-5_13-2-28.png

Treating the switches as one way now,
I do not understand the arrangement.

Were the light and fan the other way round then the fan would only work when the light was on, or be permanently off.
Understandable and acceptable.

As it is, the light won't work unless the fan is on - obviously undesirable.

What is wire X?
It could be line for light, but fan would be permanently on.
It could be permanent line to fan, but would render a timer inoperable.

I might expect liszega to come back and say "oops, no, the light switch is next to fuse" but other than that it doesn't make sense.

Any other ideas?

Without the strappers,
this is what's left. .....Treating the switches as one way now,
I do not understand the arrangement. Were the light and fan the other way round then the fan would only work when the light was on, or be permanently off. Understandable and acceptable. .... As it is, the light won't work unless the fan is on - obviously undesirable.
Quite so.
Any other ideas?
I'm not convinced that it would necessarily make things much more understandable, but is it not possible that your "Wire X" is the permanent L feed and that the fuse is in the feed to the fan? (although that would probably only make any sense if it were a non-timer fan).

liszega: is yours a 'timer' fan - i.e. does it carry on running for a period after it and/or the light is turned off? ... and can you perhaps have another go at explaining how the switches work. In particular, can the fan be turned on (and off) with the fan switch regardless of the positions of the two light switches (all four possible combinations)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back