Fitting a blanking plate on a double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove the faceplate of a double socket and replace with a blanking plate. I'm not sure what to do with the wires - do I connect them to terminal blocks or join them together as advised in similar threads elsewhere on here? I've attached a photo with the faceplate off:

eAILjdn.jpg

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Turn power off and check it is off.
Remove socket.
You need to connect the two browns together in a terminal block, the blues in a separate block and the wo earth wires (sleeved green/yellow) in a third bit of terminal block.

Your terminal block needs to be rated at 20amps or more.

Fit your blank plate, turn the power back on.

Sponsored Links
More likely theres two earths twisted within the sleeving, best to leave twisted and just put the connecter on the end, as untwisting could snap one off

I need to remove the faceplate of a double socket and replace with a blanking plate.
Do I take it that the blanking plate (hence the joined cables behind it) will remain 'accessible' after you have done this?

Kind Regards, John

I need to remove the faceplate of a double socket and replace with a blanking plate.
Do I take it that the blanking plate (hence the joined cables behind it) will remain 'accessible' after you have done this?

Kind Regards, John

Yes, in the process of turning the room into a nursery. The cot is up against a wall and directly in front of said electrical socket, hence the need to fit the blanking plate.

Yes, in the process of turning the room into a nursery. The cot is up against a wall and directly in front of said electrical socket, hence the need to fit the blanking plate.
Fair enough, that's fine - I presume that the cot could always be moved if anyone wanted to 'inspect' the connections. I only asked because, had it been the case that it would not be accessible (e.g. if some permanent structure were going to be built in front of it), then joining the wires with connector block(s), as discussed, would not have been allowed.

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2";p="3145023 said:
Fair enough, that's fine - I presume that the cot could always be moved if anyone wanted to 'inspect' the connections. I only asked because, had it been the case that it would not be accessible (e.g. if some permanent structure were going to be built in front of it), then joining the wires with connector block(s), as discussed, would not have been allowed.

Kind Regards, John

No, the cot is spot welded to the floor to stop the child from removing the blank plate . Why don't you just fit one of those fantastic child proof plugs?

Much less hasile :D

Why don't you just fit one of those fantastic child proof plugs?

Much less hasile :D

No, rather than doing that, just leave the socket as it is. Modern sockets have shutters which close off the live connections, to stop little fingers going inside. The plastic plugs are more dangerous because they can break off, leaving the shutters open if your not careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back