Swap socket and blanking plate over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to cover an existing socket (first picture) with a blanking plate and move it further along the same wall to one that is currently blanked (second picture). The current socket has 2 core cable and the blanked one has 3 core with a terminal block over the blue wires only.

Can anyone advise if this is possible?

Attachments

• IMG_4805.JPG
    IMG_4805.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4806.JPG
    IMG_4806.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links
You can certainly blank the one, but the one that isn't blanked it's unclear what it is but unlikely to be on the right circuit. Could be some kind of redundant lighting circuit perhaps with 2 way switching?

You can, if you wish, remove the socket, join the pairs of wires and cover with a blank plate but what is the point?

The other one looks more like a disconnected light switch, so no, you cannot put a socket there (unless something really strange has been done).

A socket on a ring final is normally fed with two core and earth 2.5 mm² cable. In the main 3 core and earth is used for lighting so seems likely the other wiring was for a standard lamp likely a radial not a ring final.

Sponsored Links
You can certainly blank the one, but the one that isn't blanked it's unclear what it is but unlikely to be on the right circuit. Could be some kind of redundant lighting circuit perhaps with 2 way switching?
It's a strange one, at first glance it looks like it used to be an intermediate switch, but how long have intermediate switches been around? did they even exist in the days of green earth sleeving?

Given that there are wires left unterminated, I sure hope (whatever it was) that it was disconnected at the other end.

Thanks for the replies.

The second picture (the 3 core cable) is located close to the floor along with all other sockets in the room. It isn't the height of a light switch, not sure if that would rule it out being on a lighting circuit?

Guess I will have to see if/how much power is going to it?

It's a strange one, at first glance it looks like it used to be an intermediate switch, but how long have intermediate switches been around? did they even exist in the days of green earth sleeving?

Given that there are wires left unterminated, I sure hope (whatever it was) that it was disconnected at the other end.
Agree with the second paragraph!
The first paragraph, it is intriguing, we have a roughly similar setup in our bedroom, one switch at the door and one at the bed, and the switch at the bed has the lamp connected. I used 3c+e to connect them.
I think the blue would be neutral and the red and yellow are the switched lives, either one is live depending on the position of the main switch., The switch at the lamp end would switch the light between those two.
There may have been a second lamp that was daisy chained, and they used 3c to chain it for some reason? Lack of 2c cable perhaps.
Hopefully that makes sense.

To the op, you would need to remove any other blanking plates in likely places and look behind the light switches etc.
You can probably get detectors to follow the cable across the wall if you're struggling.
And when you work it out, assuming it is 1.5mm² cable or more you can connect a new socket with a fused connection at the other end, so no need to dig up your wall. But it might be less hassle to just dig the cables out and drop new ones in as an unfused spur.

Hell yes, I yerr nowt but a wee nipper when I firss learnt thems 'n brown wire 'ad't bin invented.

I used to have a tumbler switch from the 50s that ‘‘twas intermediate.

it looks like it used to be an intermediate switch, but how long have intermediate switches been around? did they even exist in the days of green earth sleeving?
Solid green sleeving was outlawed on 31st December 1977.

Yes, there were intermediate switches around then.

Yes, that’s the ones Flameport. Used to reverse the polarity of a battery when I was about 8 playing with batteries and bulbs.. £2 for a dozen phew. Did we have purchase tax to be added then?

Tumbler switches were either Underslung or Overslung, AFAICR the intermediate was both!
Might be wrong it was a long ,long time ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back