Recessed Blanking Plates for sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our back bedroom has been converted into a Bathroom, with all the electrical sockets being decommissioned by a qualified electrician. He has left the sockets with regular thick white blanking plates on. I'm just wondering if I could get rid of those plates, attach a recessed blanking plate of some description and plaster over it to get rid of the unsightly things! All the sockets are at ground level in the bathroom, so so there's no chance that anyone will want to do any drilling in there.

What are people's thoughts about this? Is it safe? Is there such a thing as a recessed blanking plate? Where would I find one?

Many thanks,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
If the cables are still live in the wall, then it would be unwise to remove evidence of the blanking plates.

This would remove any indication that the cables exist and could lead to other problems.

Yeah they are still live... I'm starting to think he should really have pulled the cables out rather than just crimp them off if I wanted to get rid of them completely.

Sponsored Links
No, we got someone in to do the bathroom conversion, and the electrician was a subbie for him. I had no input on that part of the project at all.

as far as I remember, only the bill!
It was about a year ago now, part of a big refurb job on the house, we're only just getting to decorating the bathroom properly now

you will have to find where the cables go to and join them, either under the floor or above the ceiling.

If the room is currently empty, it should be fairly easy to locate the cables under the floor.
If the sockets are part of a ring or in the middle of a radial, you need to locate the two cables exiting the room and find the 2 sockets they are connected to. Those cables are removed and a new length of cable connected between the two sockets, so no need for connections under the floor. (The new cable can go under the floor)

If they are at the end of a radial it is even easier - locate the socket immediately before the cable enters the room and disconnect it there.

Still a blanking plate but marshall tufflex do a white pvc blankplate only about 2mm thick, slightly less obstrusive maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back