Replacing Blanking Plate with Socket

Sponsored Links
Fit an unswitched socket. I suspect the switch above worktop isolates the existing flex outlet plate. Pretty common set up really.

Great, I'll nip down to B&Q tomorrow and grab one of these. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for the assistance.

It looks as if you have fitted the socket already - why not plug something - table light/ drill / kettle in and see if the switch above turns it off and on?

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I don't have any testing equipment. I understand your reasoning behind going for an unswitched socket - would this be OK? Just to confirm, would it be a standard socket as shown above, but instead of having the standard switch beside the plug, it would have a switch operating the power of this through an isolation switch instead?

Although I cannot test, there are two switches above this countertop, one I know for certain provides power to the dishwasher (far right). I can only assume the one on the far left would be used for the other outlet which currently has a blanking plate fitted.

I'll attach relevant photo

Thanks
You will have to have some means of testing to ensure the cable is dead before doing any work on it!!

Sponsored Links
You will have to have some means of testing to ensure the cable is dead before doing any work on it!!

Whoops, I didn't see this before doing the job. What sort of testing equipment would you recommend for tackling electrical jobs in the future?

*Update*

Thank you to everyone that responded. Managed to pick up a cheap and cheerful unswitched single socket from B&Q, fitted it within 5 minutes. The switch above the countertop provides the power for the plug which is great.

Washing machine in place, pipes connected and works like a charm!

Whoops, I didn't see this before doing the job. What sort of testing equipment would you recommend for tackling electrical jobs in the future?

A none contact volt-stick can be useful, but comes under criticism because they might sometimes mislead. I find them useful, but you need to be familiar with them and know when they can let you down. A decent multimeter is better, if tested before and after use. An engineer would carry a designed for the job test instrument for 240v. Decent quality, because poor quality instruments have been known to explode when testing mains voltages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back