Replace Blanking Plate with Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new build flat, in the cupboard near the ceiling is a blanking plate, but its wired up as if part of a circuit (see pic bellow).

There are also 2 pairs of grey and black wires in there, 1 pair going into a terminal block, the other loose.

Is it possible for me to replace the blanking plate with a single socket, and what are the grey/black wires for?]

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Stop!
Check that it's not the connections for the Bathroom fan, which is often wired into the lighting circuit, with a Switched live off the bathroom light - sometimes a junction box is placed in the airing cupboard adjacent - which you appear to have encountered.

The wiring looks like part of a lighting circuit, and too small to feed a 13 amp socket.

You may be able to supply a 5 amp round pin socket from here though.

What do you want the socket to supply exactly?

I would appear then that this is the connection for this extractor fan. pulls air from the kitchen and bathroom and ensuite.

the fan is not triggered by each rooms light switch though, but by a switch on the wall in the cupboard, so it's either permanently on or off.

I want the socket so i can plug in my handheld vacuums charger and wallmount so it's hidden in the cupboard. Will have to think of something else.

cheers for the speedy responses

Sponsored Links
You may be able to take advantage of that cupboard by running a cable(s) through it from a suitable point from a nearby suitable socket circuit.

Those cables running diagonally accross the corner in the cupboard looks rather crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back