Old, live cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed a number of old, cut-off and hence unused cables from beneath the floorboards of our house (I just cant understand how people can leave them there - were they not potty trained?) Anyway, I was tidying up the cables beneath our consumer unit and, below the boards, found at least three new examples dangling there. As I couldn't see their other ends, I tested them and found one to be live :eek:. This cable disappears through the wall on which the CU is fitted and heads beneath our tiled-floor kitchen.*

I'm fairly sure it will be connected to our kitchen ring in some way - I'll try each MCB in turn and test to verify. I figured:

a) it may be hooked up to a socket: so, if I find a socket with a third cable, should I connect the live and neutral at the cut-off end and then test for continuity? Is that the best way to do it?

b) it will be connected to a junction box under our kitchen floor

With b) and assuming that I identify a socket in a) but cant pull the cable through, I'll need to make the cut-off end safe. Should I use a junction box / choc box and just leave it lying there ( :confused: ) Obviously, lifting the kitchen floor is the "right" thing to do but, well, wife+budget+time+sh#t factor means I'd sooner go for the simpler option provided that it is 'acceptable.'

* I cant figure out what the cable used to do: if it were cut off near a socket I'd understand it, but its cut off next to the consumer unit and is still part of a circuit!! Points to it being connected to a JB no?

Any help / thoughts appreciated

Sponsored Links
Voltage test on the exposed live and neutral: 250v reading ..... shurely no mishtake?

Edit: sorry quick disclaimer. I don’t recall specifically if it was 250v - I don’t wish to sound cavalier, it's just that I was taken aback by the fact it was live. It was probably less - yes I know it's important. I shall self-flagellate later

I shall self-flagellate later

You'll go blind....

Just asking about the testing as some folk on here use those contact-less volt indicators and see a live indication. Sometime that is due to induced voltages and teh cable isn't really live, at all.

But if you have tested with a two probe tester, or multimeter then it is live.

If you are really tidy then you could ttrace the cable back to the origin and remove (that's the best plan).
In the real world it is often more practical to terminate the cable ends in a maintenance free connector (ie an insulated crimp, or something like a Wago connector and put the ends into an enclosure (Wagobox eg).

Sponsored Links
Thanks TTC

Just asking about the testing as some folk on here use those contact-less volt indicators and see a live indication.

Noo noo noo. I'm a wily fox me. I wouldnt come on this forum and admit to using the wrong equipment. Ooh noo noo ....

In the real world it is often more practical to terminate the cable ends in a maintenance free connector (ie an insulated crimp, or something like a Wago connector and put the ends into an enclosure (Wagobox eg)

Thanks - if I cant remove the cable then this is what I had planned to do (well, I said junction box but you know what I mean). As for identifying the cable though - am I right per the continuity test I noted in my first post?

a) it may be hooked up to a socket: so, if I find a socket with a third cable, should I connect the live and neutral at the cut-off end and then test for continuity? Is that the best way to do it?
No not unless you disconnect the cable from the socket before connecting live and neutral at the cut end. If the 3 cables are connected at the socket you might get a false continuity reading via an appliance somewhere else on that ring ( or radial ) of sockets. And it would not tell you which of the three cables was the one to the cut end unless that cable was visible diferent from the others.

Of course, my being a DIYer does preclude presumption - I apologise. I had offered it up as a given that I would disconnect the cables from each socket

I have had "electricians" asking me why the "safe" neutral they have just disconnected on a live lighting circuit has just severely bitten them... :rolleyes:

I have had "electricians" asking me why the "safe" neutral they have just disconnected on a live lighting circuit has just severely bitten them... :rolleyes:
One does often wonder what (other than regulations) are taught in some of the 'courses' around!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back