Old microwave transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Anyone ideas if this part is still available or where to source this make
(or compatible) transformer for an old Panasonic microwave.

Sponsored Links
Not sure how well versed you are with microwaves so ensure you have correctly discharged the capacitor before touching anything to prevent a severe shock. Also its far more common for the HV diode to be at fault which then takes out the internal fuse have you checked this at all ? Apologies if im trying to make you suck eggs !! :D

Apologies if im trying to make you suck eggs

No need to apologies for such a useful post, thank you.

10a fast blow fuse was replaced and this allows power to display and cooling fan works.
When start button is pressed the usual "microwave" type noise seems to be replaced by a vibrating or grating noise
(similar to usual noise but ten times worse) coming from transformer area.
Then fuse blows.
I presumed with the excess noise and the fuse does not blow when the transformer wire is disconnected that may have been the fault.

Trafo's rarely fail, more likely to be the HV cap or diode. Good practice to change both at the same time.

Sponsored Links
thanks for helpful replies.

any idea what could be making the loud vibrating type noise, very similar to a failing/ chattering solonoid .

I am a gas engineer by trade so must confess to not knowing about the hv cap or diode.
Is this a simple repair or would it be best to seek more professional help?

Micro's are not really DIY projects. HV capacitors can remain charged for a very, very long time. Pulling the plug will not safeguard you against a serious & potentially lethal shock if you are unlucky enough to put your fingers in the wrong place. HV capacitors must always be safely discharged before work commences. A shorted HV diode will result in a loud hum from the HV transformer but the main fuse doesn't always blow. The noise is caused by high current flowing in the transformer secondary through the HV capacitor. Normal practice is to replace both diode & capacitor. It isn't an expensive repair & you can always ask for a quote up front.

Completley agree with zipper Im sure being in the gas trade your a very practical person but please leave this one to someone who has exsperience in this field on this occasion

Can't disagree with the safety concerns above.
If I were doing it, after the microwave had been switched off for a couple of mins I would make sure the capacitor were discharged. With a well insulated screwdriver touching the blade on the chassis first, keeping it in touch with the chassis slide it along and touch both sides of the capacitor. The high voltage side will be around 5000 to 6000v, (deadly)
If the capacitor has two diodes on it, one to earth and one across it, the one across has probably gone short, easy to test with meter. If it was faulty I would cut it out to test run microwave, again once tested I would discharge capacitor again! As long as the capacitor was not short circuit I would not replace it.

I would be very careful.

Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back