Old/New Solar DHW project - Help & Advice please :-)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
//www.diynot.com/network/ferris/albums/ - some photos of my solar panels and HW tank etc, plus a photo of the heating setup.

Hi,

I moved into this house three years ago. It had a 'working' Solar DHW system running with a 'out of the ark' gas heating/DHW system.

Long story but I now have a nice heating system installed, at the time I didnt have the energy or cash to finish the solar side of the system...

I have the old panels on the roof, and as everything was working well before the old system being dismantled so I am going to assume they are good to go. I have a Megaflo Eco Solar DHW cylinder.

The ‘system’ is now in the garage 100%, it used to be boiler in garage and tanks in the loft with a whopping 27m of 28mm between the two. For a nice neat install we decided on everything in the garage.

My thought is to get some of the flexible pipes with the outdoor insulation and temp sender cabling included, and run from the panels – outside of the building – and just drop down from the roof to the garage (see picture) – c4m, connect up to a pump station next to the cylinder etc etc.

I am a pretty compitant DIY’er (worked for a builder and a plumber a long time ago after leaving school) and would like to do this myself, plus also I am struggling to find any good local help to even get a price.

Could someone advise what needs to in the system to get everything working, and any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mark
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Nice neat installation but a professional would have connected both heating coils in series until you were ready to connect the solar.

Short of going on a solar course, my advice would be to get a local heating engineer to at least come to you on an ( paid for ) advisory basis.

Tony

Hi,

Yes I did notice that, I think maybe he thought I was sorting the solar ASAP?? He was ace through the whole process and am amazed with the systems performance and his attn for detail..

I did have a chat with you ages ago on the subject of the original heating issues after the first munkey played with my system and every time he played more me made it worse :unsure:

Can you recomennd a solar capable plumber in the KT7 (Thames Ditton) area? I am struggling to find anyone..

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back