Old paint peeling from plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to decorate our bedroom. In a few areas (where I removed some fitted wardrobes) the previous paint job is peeling away to remove fairly recent looking plaster. The paint comes away in quite big strips simply by pulling at it.

I doubt I'll be stripping the whole room, I seem to be finding a few places where the paint is soundly on the wall. So...

1. I assume I should just keep pulling at bits of paint until I get to bits that are sound?
2. Should I attempt to use some kind of filler round the ragged edges so that the whole thing can be painted over?
3. Should I line it before painting?
4. Given the plaster underneath looks quite good, should i just prep this with some diluted paint as a first coat?

Thanks for any advice

Keith

Sponsored Links
When this tends to happen it is often a sign that the paint system was applied unthinned and direct onto the plaster skim, in other words a mist coat was not applied. You can if you wish remove any failing paint sand back and and spot mist the areas, if then any filling is needed you should again sand and mist the filler.

There is always a tendancy here that when you apply pressure from brush or roller that more of the existing paint wil fail, so perhaps you would be better advised to sand the entire area (A pole sander would be useful) then apply a thinned wallpaper paste (size) and line with 1200 grade paper.

Dec

Dec, thanks for your reply.

I think I'll keep pulling at paint and see how much comes off. I may well strip the whole room this way!

If I follow your second suggestion (sanding the whole area an lining) how do you know when to stop sanding. Is the aim to bring the whole room back to plaster? (btw where the paint is coming away the plaster behind is grey rather than pink - is this unusual?)

THanks

Keith

Sponsored Links
It's just normal plaster, there used to be grey and pink plaster, don't think the grey is used much these days though. I maybe wrong but I think it was a regional thing, some parts of the country had pink, others grey, it depended on where the stuff was mined/produced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back