Old petrol blowtorch repair question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large old petrol blowtorch that needs a new leather washer to replace the old one, what type and thickness of leather would I need? The pumping plunger is about 1" diameter.

Last time I had to fix the blow by issue when pumping it up, I accidentally put the large washer in backwards, and the punched out sharp edge then cut the leather. I have tried a few times with leather from old shoes, but still cannot get it to pump up properly.

Anyone used to repairing these old things?

Sponsored Links
I have a large old petrol blowtorch that needs a new leather washer to replace the old one, what type and thickness of leather would I need? The pumping plunger is about 1" diameter.

Last time I had to fix the blow by issue when pumping it up, I accidentally put the large washer in backwards, and the punched out sharp edge then cut the leather. I have tried a few times with leather from old shoes, but still cannot get it to pump up properly.

Anyone used to repairing these old things?

You need a soft, cup shaped washer for the pump and it needs to be well greased.

The original washer was Leather held in place by two washers. I goofed by putting the bottom washer in backwards. Not sure I would find a cup shaped washer of the correct diameter.

Sponsored Links
I was sold it as a petrol blowtorch, and I have run it on petrol a while ago. The blue cone is about 2" across and about 8-10" long on full flame! Good to get a damp bonfire burning well.

can you show us a pic? They are most often paraffin fuelled.

I think you can still get leather washers for Primus and Optimus stoves, and Tilley lamps, which may fit.

The pump section will need a washer just under 25mm across. I will try and take a picture later. The fuel tank is 160 mm diameter and 170mm tall.

Thanks, I last looked for them a few years ago and did not find anything at that time. I have one on order to see how it works.

Petrol blowtorches I've seen are self pressurising and paraffin ones have pumps and wouldn't put petrol in the latter.
I grew up with paraffin lamps and stoves and alway made our own washers out of strong glove leather, forming the cup shape by folding back around the metal washer

It is quite old, so possibly dates back to 60 octane petrol, which is not much higher octane than paraffin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back