Old plaster cracks and over skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy lads,

Hoping for some answers on this, i just cant make up my mind for what is going to be best.

We have ordered our new sofa and carpet so its time to get our lounge prepped, we started stripping over the weekend and man... what a mess!

I knew the ceiling needed redoing as its only 9.5mm boards and no scrim, i also need to run all new pipework and cables, miles easier than ripping floor upstairs up but...

One of the walls was blown to heck so ive knocked all the loose stuff off, do i cont. the full wall back to brick and just D&D? or bonding coat + skim over? - Budget is stretched as it is.

The other walls dont sound too hollow but are FULL of hairline cracks with a few larger ones, i am concerned that onces re-skimmed these will return.

What would the best practice be? Back to brick and D&D, fill and scrim cracks and overskim?

Many thanks.

IMG_7798.JPG
IMG_7800.JPG
IMG_7827.JPG
IMG_7828.JPG
IMG_7832.JPG
IMG_7835.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG
IMG_7833.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7836.JPG
    IMG_7836.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
By the look of your pics looks like to make a good job it needs to go back to brick I'm not a fan of d&d so I would f&s you may be able to save a lot of the ceiling if you cut back to the nearest joists and put new board in and tape up and reskim save reboarding or over boarding

Sponsored Links
Leave a band of old plaster along the top of the wall about 6"to 8" down then fill in the area where the band has come off by screeding along the old screed you have left on. Then leave a screed again at the bottom of the wall and do the same as the top screed to get it all in one. Make sure you have a good straight edge to screed across it, and see if you have an equal(ish) depth under the screed. Then hack all the old muck off the wall between top and bottom screeds then wire brush the wall and give it a good mist spraying to kill the dust and brush some SBR over that area(Or PVA) before you throw your "Muck" on. (Be it sand cement and lime or bonding) Give it another dose of Sbr or Pva and dub it out with your chosen muck and see how close to the screed you are. Try to filI it out with two coats. It will be easier to run to your screeds then. After you have pulled it through and devilled it up to take the skim, hack off your screeds and fill them in using the new area to run your screeds off top and bottom...Easy eh? ;) Then you can skim the whole wall in one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back