old plaster has come away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stripped the wallpaper off and some of the plaster decided to come off with it. The rest of the walls feel quite solid, but arnt smooth. They aren't so bad that it needs replastering but could do with being smoothed out in a few areas. Any ideas how to fill the hole and give the rest of the walls a smoothing over?

20160101_144128.jpg

Sponsored Links
Bonding or render should fill in the gap. I would straighten the lines a little with a Stanley knife and make sure surrounding plaster is sound.
Joints will need to be taped.
Personally I would re skim the whole wall, it takes a bit longer but worth the better result. Patching a join is possible, but difficult to blend perfectly.

Easifill can be used to fill small areas, but not advised on something as big as the patch you have here.

I've also noticed a small crack near your window ledge. You may need to cut a bit of the plaster back to brick there and strengthen with some lath before replaster. Just a bit of filler alone in that crack will probably come back quite soon.

Thanks for that, went with what you suggested and now just sorting out imperfections with easyfill, hopefully end up with a half decent finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back