Old plaster

3 Nov 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I'm just starting decorating the spare room as wife is expecting, so i've started stripping the nasty woodchip paper off the walls. There seems to be a coat or two of paint on the plaster which i'm scraping off fine. I've got down to the bare plaster which looks in pretty good condition, however where the previous owners had stripped the wallpaper off, they've scored it and also scored the plaster. Is there a 'thick' paint I can apply or do I need to get some filler and do the lot?

Sponsored Links
Hmm - i've just found Polycell Smoothover. Has anyone had any experience with this?
There isn't a thick paint available for this and I would forget the polycell, after you have stripped both paper and paint give the walls a mist coat of emulsion doing this will highlight the areas that need filling. After sanding smooth also mist the filled areas. You should be then ready to apply your finish coats.


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links