Old Plasterboard 1930's ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am just doing some work on my living room ceiling in my 1930s bungalow in Essex. Found these boards on the ceiling. they are very narrow by todays plasterboard standards, probably 16 inches in width. I think they are the original boards. Has anyone seen these types of boards before and am I right to assume they are just old style plasterboards. Just concerned that they may be something asbestos related.

Attachments

• IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_3659.JPG
    IMG_3659.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 358
Sponsored Links
Looks like plasterboard to me?

Is it possible that the 16" is an offcut from something used elsewhere?
Maybe they had a load of offcuts and used them in an attempt. To insulate?

OR maybe they were put up by a single person who cut them to that width so they could be managed easier.
16" is the joist spacing after all isnt it?

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I think they must be original to when the house was built as it has the original "run in situ" lime plaster coving on top of it. Its also in the whole house and from in the loft looking at the backside of it, it looks like its never been touched. Also every board is the same 16 inch width so not sure why anyone would bother cutting every one. They don't have any relation to the spacing of the joists as the boards run across the joists. i was just curious as I hadn't seen them before and wondered if any one had any experience of something similar. Also another thing is every joint is butted up and not taped. Anyway thanks for the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back