What is this board

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found this board used for a ceiling in the original part of my 1930s bungalow. It looks similar to plasterboard but there is no paper facing on either side and there are shiny speckles in it. The back is grooved.

DSC_0014.JPG

Is this an old form of plasterboard or something else? I'm hoping the fibres aren't the dreaded asbestos. I'm guessing not because there aren't any fibres coming out of the board.

Sponsored Links
bsr, good evening.

Suggest you Google "Vermiculite" that material does have the "shiny bits" visible.

There appears to have possible some cross contamination between Vermiculite and one of the forms of Asbestos, again Google Vermiculite and the date your property was constructed?

If it were me I would be getting the material tested.

As for not being able to see "Fibers" simply put, you will not see them to locate and identify Asbestos, you have to use a Microscope, the fibers are Nano-Meters in length and diameter.

Ken.

You can't see asbestos fibres unless under a microscope, but that does look look like AIB (Asbestos insulation board) and this may well have a smooth side and an indented side with something lie a basket-weave or tiny grid-like pattern.

If it snaps easily then you are OK, its a fibre board. If it difficult then it may be an asbestos board.

I would treat that with caution certainly get a sample checked, a lot of the "asbestos replacement boards" did have shiney mica bits in them it but that is by no means a reliable way to identify it.

Sponsored Links
OK thanks all. I'll stop work until tested.TThe material is hard and snappable whereas my reading says AIB is soft and friable?

Any recommendations for a testing service?

Would it be normal to use AIB / AC for a complete house ceiling? I've only heard of it being used for garage ceilings.

Last edited:
Never seen it myself but have heard stories of bomb damage being repaired with asbestos sheeting might be an urban myth and some bungalows built with it, hard to be certain so many small builders around in the 30's and asbestos not thought a risk then.

Woohoo, the report came back today and no asbestos. Glad I got it tested, better safe than sorry.

Any idea what else it might be? Cement board? It's harder, stronger and slightly thicker than plasterboard and not paper faced.

Good news! Lots of asbestos replacement boards around, might be masterboard I think that was one of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back