old plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
priced a job the other day, two rooms,no big deal .i advised the owner to board over exsisting plasterboard.the boards were old type,and to my guessing were never meant to be plastered on.its those old prefab metal frame homes,and i know how bad the boards are for skimming as i live in the same house.i ended up putting pva on the boards,just to keep up with it.

the owner wanted to know if i could skim straight over the boards,after the wallpaper had been scrapped off,taking most of the board paper with it.i said its possible yes because although i done the same you shouldnt really.

he had another spread to look at the job and he told them he would go over the boards as they are .

what you other spreads reckon, board over or skim anyway?

Sponsored Links
Hard to say without seeing the boards. Even though the board paper has come off, if they are sound/rigid, and as long as the plaster is well bonded with pva, I don't see why they should be any different to any other plasterboard. As a matter of fact,,, and I have said this often in the past, that modern plasterboard is weak and flimsy compared to older plasterboard. We saw that in a post a few weeks ago, where the poster,,, simply by removing a few tiles from p/board,, destroyed the wall itself........ I think the old p/board would skim no problem Skinters, but it's up to you old son. ;)

Roughcaster.

If you know they will have high suction patches then seal them up at least the day before you want to skim them with a 3&1 / 2&1 pva coat to kill all suction, this should stop any crazing patches where the moisture gets suck out before the plaster sets;
working plenty of pva into the patches where the paper has come off the boards should stick any lose edges of paper back firm to the board.
should then be like skimming a painted wall.

Sponsored Links
well thats exactly what i had to do when skim these old walls in the house i have. i tried it first and skimmed like normal,i covered a few meters,and just out of curiosity touched the plaster where i started,i couldnt believe it,the plaster had completly gone.

i think these old boards were not meant to be skimmed over,not saying you couldnt,but in those days i think skimmed walls were bit of a luxury,and the quality of the board was not that clever.

anyways,thats what i did in the end pva like normal which is unheard of on plasterboard but it did the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back