Old Porch Needs replacing Advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, don't really know too much about porches, I live in a ex-council house
(built 1960's) cavity wall etc etc
on the front is a semi circular porch that needs repairing/replacing
it looks like it has been letting water into the wood supports for a while as it leans downwards and upon inspection, nearly all the wood is rotted.
I've taken off the asbestos cover underneath and it looks like 2 2"4 beams actually go through the cavity into the house holding it up.
seeing as we have good weather I will take the rest of it down tonight.

My questions are really as follows.

I'm going to have to knock down the old one and replace it,
I know allot of people say, make a new proch look like your main roof, does anyone have any website as reference when building these kind of things.

because I am replacing/repairing it, do i need planning permission?

I have thought that changing it from a semi circle one to a different style would be good, but what styles are they?

I know this is all quite vague but can anyone suggest any option I have or things i'll need to take into consideration.

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
more than likely just replacing what i have and have a freestanding wall mounted (storm porch) if that's what it's called

ghost32 said:
more than likely just replacing what i have and have a freestanding wall mounted (storm porch) if that's what it's called

i have to say the more attractive storm canopies are mounted on gallows brackets and have a pitched roof, with tiles that match the existing roof.

try and not make the roof too fussy.

you could even have a flat lead roof with a fancy drip.

in fact, armed with a pair of gallows, the world's your oyster. you just need to use your imagination.

provided you don't live in a terrace run with zero frontage (the type where you walk out of the front door onto the footpath) then planning permission is unlikely. it is also b'regs exempt.

Sponsored Links
sorry for the late reply but, here's a rough design of the frame that I have been making
porchel1.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2650/porchel1.jpg

can yoiu let me know what you think and what i'm doing wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back