Old rads all heat up, new ones don't

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title suggests, all 6 upstairs radiators and 2 downstairs ones which look pretty old get piping hot.

the 4 new ones downstairs installed a year ago get hot at the top but not at the bottom, although the flow pipes get very hot. When bled, the water is clear.

We have never had the system power flushed. A heating engineer advised us not to as we used to have a small leak which he felt had sealed over time and which a power flush would open up again.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
System needs balancing.

I believe there is a guide how to on the FAQ section.

Is that even though the flow pipe do get hot?

If that's definitely the problem, thanks... I know what I need to do now. I thought the rads might be faulty

Sponsored Links
Are the 4 new radiators replacements or has the system been extended.
The reason for asking is that by extending the system and adding more pipe work and radiators there will be more resistance for the water to flow.
So in addition to balancing the radiators you need to consider the setting of the by-pass valve if you have one. The water will not want to go through radiators/pipes if there is an easier route.
If the balancing does not cure it then the pump may be silted up a bit.
I removed a friends pump, only to find silt had reduced the inlet/outlet ports from 20mm down to about 8mm and this explained why a radiator was just lukewarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back