Old roof tiles Vs new

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having the old roof striped, new felt and batten installed and are just about to order the new tiles.

We played with the idea of keeping the originals but needed quite a few more for the extension we were concerned we couldn't get a close enough match to make it look right. A neighbor has just offered us 1000 tiles they had left over from their work most of which are original, this would probably solve this issue. The new tiles would set us back about £4.5k.

Some issues;

1) The extension has a low pitch roof (25') the original tiles will be 100 years old. Is it only modern tiles that will do the job on a low pitch roof?

2) If we were a few short do you think you can blend in a few new ones over the job without them standing out?

I am now in 2 minds after having worked through what tiles to purchase!

Sponsored Links
Do old tiles "last for ever"? I dont want to save the cost of the new tiles only to have to replace them in a few years time.

Sponsored Links
I have bitten the bullet and gone for new throughout. I can bear the thought of doing all the work and then needed to revisit again in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back