Old slate DPC height in solid wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some help regarding a slate dpc.

My girlfriend's ground floor flat is an an old converted house with solid walls. She has had an ongoing damp problem which I investigated, and found what appears to be a slate damp proof course buried four inches below the ground surface (membrane with gravel laid over).

For a start, the slate sticks out from the brick wall by two or three inches in places all the way along. Is this how the wall would have been originally constructed, rather than cut the slate off flush with the brickwork?

I have exposed the slate and cleared the earth away from it. I'm guessing it should be cleared to between four to six inches below the exposed slate level?

The ground appears to be built up all around the external walls of the building and covering the slate dpc. There is no evidence of any later injection dpc.

Is this slate layer the actual damp proof course for the building, and how far should I clear the earth from it, if it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Philip.

Sponsored Links
For a start, the slate sticks out from the brick wall by two or three inches in places all the way along. Is this how the wall would have been originally constructed, rather than cut the slate off flush with the brickwork?
Er, no it would not.

Is this a genuine double slate bed dpc or has someone tried knocking some slate in?

Can we see a piccy?

The slate appears to be in situ and held in by the mortar, although when originally uncovered the slate was quiet soft and broke easily as though it was 'rotten', possibly due to its burial below ground level.

The property is approx 100 years old, possibly late 1890's

I will get a pic or two posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back