Old sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some old socket sin my property which don’t have the switches on. Is it possible for an electrician to replace them with a modern switch socket? Is is a simple job for them?

:)

Sponsored Links
It's a simple job if the circuit has no safety issues such as damaged cables etc. How old is your house and when was it last rewired?

It's a simple job if the circuit has no safety issues such as damaged cables etc. How old is your house and when was it last rewired?

It is an old house it dates from the Georgian period. I am not certain when it was rewired, probably within the last 15-20 years. There is a large extension being built which will replace most of the wiring to the ground floor, including a new distribution board probably, however I don't really want to completely rewire the upper floors if it isn't necessary. I just thought the sockets could be upgraded??

Thanks

:eek:

you are well within your rights to change them yourself if you feel confident.

Sponsored Links
like for like where ever you like.
I could be wrong.

You are not wrong - it is totally acceptable to replace accessories (sockets,switches, even showers & cookers) on a like for like basis without notifying your BCO or employing an electrician.

The issue is that with an old house a lot can happen in 15 years so there is no guarantee that the wiring is still in a safe and acceptable condition, and that is where an electrician with appropriate test gear comes into play.

OK now I'm confused. Does that mean I can change a socket plate in my kitchen? put a new kitchen light up? change a bathroom fan?

Does that mean I can change a socket plate in my kitchen?

change a socket plate in my kitchen? - yes
put a new kitchen light up? - the key words are 'new' and 'kitchen' so no.
change a bathroom fan? - yes

Sorry I should have said replacement fitting: i.e. change say a rose and pendant to a 4 spot Halogen jobbie? it's hardly like for like.

Going further if my electrician has put a circuit in place for a hob (currently I have a loose wire taped up and switched off at CU and the isolating switch installed by my electrician in provision for the hob I will be installing) am I allowed to wire that into the back of the new hob? Sorry if this is almost thread hijack but I am confused where the part P boundaries fall I'd like to minimise the extra work I need to pay for.

am I allowed to wire that into the back of the new hob?
Thats a bit of a grey area, but I'd say technically you can't really do it, as it's not changing something like for like, plus it's in a kitchen.
Probably better if one the sparks answers that for you though.

I have some old socket sin my property which don’t have the switches on.

:)

Just because they have no switches does not mean they are old. You can get switched sockets.

If they are very old the pins will be round, that would indicate other issues that need addressing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back