Old sockets

All t'other stuff aside (including checking the rest of the wiring) it is going to be much safer for you if your sockets are switched, so yes you are allowed to turn off your electricity at the fuse box (guessing too old for CU :D ) and replace them.

You can buy the sockets at most major DIY stores (or even better trade electrical store).

I'm sure if there is any advise you need on exactly what to do & how to do it then you can get that here.
(providing this does not turn into a "your not fit to do it" & arguments about the regs thread).

Sponsored Links
am I allowed to wire that into the back of the new hob?
Thats a bit of a grey area, but I'd say technically you can't really do it, as it's not changing something like for like, plus it's in a kitchen.
Probably better if one the sparks answers that for you though.

Technically there is nothing stopping you, however, if you read through the tree that comes with the cooker you'll probably come across something along the lines of

'this appliance should be installed by a competent person / electrician'

This is a nice little get out for the makers, if something should happen to your cooker and it was not installed correctly then your warrenty is stuffed, get a qualified person in and their insurance should cover such an eventuality

I have some old socket sin my property which don’t have the switches on. Is it possible for an electrician to replace them with a modern switch socket? Is is a simple job for them?

:)

If really old

You may find the old fixing screws are imperial thread, so you may need to reuse the old screws.

Not sure,you may be able to retap them as I think the old size may be slightly smaller than the 3.5mm current size screws.

Sponsored Links
Talking of BA
Anyone know the size of the really old mk grid cover screws as my stock is nearly out and I want some similar.

Now you're pushing it.

I'll see if I can find one tomorrow and try it in my thread guage (I'll probably forget mind you)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back