Old switch and adding sockets to ring main

Hi
Can I explain what I have done and could someone please confirm it is safe and legal.......! :?:

Spurred off kitchen ring main and run through wall behind into utility room 1, installed a switched FCU (has red light on it) and run the spur into the FCU.
Then run cable from FCU to new double socket in utility room 1 and run second cable from same FCU to 2nd new double socket in ultility room 2. Am I ok with this?

Cheers :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Can someone please confirm that the following is correct and legal…..
I have spurred off existing ring main through a wall into utility room 1 into a switched FCU, run T&E from this FCU to a new double socket,
then run T&E from FCU to another new double socket in utility room 2 and finished there.
I realise I probably didn't need a switched FCU but it was available at the time. Am I ok doing it this way?
:?:
Many thanks for your advice

davelx said:
you can only put one (single/twin) socket on an unfused spur. If the spur is connected via an FCU, you can put as many as you like on the load side, but total load will be limited to 13A by the fuse in the FCU.

As long as both sockets are fed from the load side of the FCU. In other words, they go off when you remove the fuse or switch off.

The trouble is, you're limited to 13A load. In a utility, this may mean nuisance blowing of the 13A fuse.

Better off doing it on the ring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that securespark. So do you think a small tumble dryer would be pulling too much on the supply. The only items on the sockets would be fridge, microwave, washer and tumble dryer.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back