Old system no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Housewarmer 45 economy 2 central heating boiler.

Periodically, I get problems with it and flushed it the best I can with garden hose power, into many radiators, also removed the hot water tank, and cleaned it out. It was re-filled with plenty of inhibitor.

Today there is no hot water, but the heating is working fine. All thermostats are set ok.

I have traced the system round and re-lagged much of it, but never seen a diverter valve or solenoid. Can anyone tell me, how the hot water can be switched on and off. Is the diverter built next to the boiler in the chimney breast (Where I can't get to it?)

Thanks, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
I dont see how you expect us to know how your system is installed and connected.

The best thing is to get an engineer to service the boiler and show you where the parts are.

Have you never had it serviced?

Tony

I dont see how you expect us to know how your system is installed and connected.

The best thing is to get an engineer to service the boiler and show you where the parts are.

Have you never had it serviced?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I was hoping for someone who knows if this particular boiler has a diverter valve. I'm pretty sure it does.

Thanks.

If I'm right, you have a back boiler.

They often installed the pump and valves either in the floor or in the wall by the side.

But then you may also have pumped heating gravity hot water ect

Sponsored Links
If I'm right, you have a back boiler.

They often installed the pump and valves either in the floor or in the wall by the side.

But then you may also have pumped heating gravity hot water ect

Yes, you're correct, a back boiler. I'm seeing how long this old thing will work for.

I've just been tracing the wiring, and can see there is only one wire going into the chimney breast, and I think this is gas. There is another wire going (as you say) to the pump.

I've checked that all contacts are ok, and the pump and gas go on ok.

So, I am pretty sure now, that (as you say) the hot water is gravity fed, and the heating is pumped.

Do you agree, that there is either a blockage, or an airlock in the hot water pipes only?

That is a possibility.

The gas doesn't have a wire, it is a copper pipe

Am I talking to an electrician or a plumber? :)

The wire I was talking about goes to switch on the gas elcetronic gas valve), as it's the only wire I am assuming there is no diverter valve.

It's the way you worded it, I'm a heating engineer.

People say all kinds of strange things

It's the way you worded it, I'm a heating engineer.

People say all kinds of strange things

I'm the worst, especially as I'm not having the best day, and it's bath night too.

I appreciate any help I get. :cry:

Check your f & e tank has water in it, what condition is the water in the f& e

If it is a blockage you will probably need to call out an engineer

Check your f & e tank has water in it, what condition is the water in the f& e

If it is a blockage you will probably need to call out an engineer

Having flushed the system out months ago, and topped up with inhibitor, I guessed that it wasn't a blockage, but not sure.

Last week I bought a little vacuum pump for engine oil. I bunged the F&E tank output, and connected the pump to the overflow. Pumped for a bit and it all started working. Hopefully there was a build up of air.

The problem seems to be that the original installer, only put one pipe from the top of the hot water tank, for filling and venting. So any air bubbles have to pass the incoming replacement water. My theory, let's hope I'm right.

Anyway, at the moment my bathwater is warming nicely, thanks for all the help.

Cheers, Camerart.

Is your combined feed and vent 15mm or 22mm

If it's 15 it needs changing but also not all boilers are suitable for this arrangement.

I would still get an engineer out to look at it for an opinion.

Glad you've got hot water for now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back