Old telephone wire to New telephone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to connect the old telephone wire to New type of telephone wire but I dont know where the wires connect to. The old type are colours Orange,Brown,Green and Blue.

Does anyone know where I could see a diagram or pictures to see where the wires connect to

Sponsored Links
Not that simple. When exactly are you wiring up, and what are you connecting it to?

The old cables is not recommended now for telephony as it is not made int he same way. The old cable does not have the 2 pairs of wires twisted in any way which will lead to possible noise and humming on the line. If you then call BT out to have a look, they may charge for the visit.

The new colours do have twisted pairs and it is also compatible with ADSL working, the old is probably not.

You can buy cable at lots of places and it is dead easy to install, but if your having probs with the new colours then post on here, someone will lend a hand I am sure

Old colours, were singles- new are pairs

Old----------------new
Blue---------------White / blue
Orange------------Blue / white
Green-------------White/ orange
Brown-------------Orange /white

On old LJU's with old wiring it was normal for LJU 5 to have orange, LJU 2 to have blue, LJU 3 (ring balance) to be green.

Modern standard (all LJU positions)

white / blue 5
blue/white 2 (always remember blue rythms with two)
white / orange 4 (pabx earth recall)
orange / white (ring bal)

socketwire2.jpg

And there a very good full guide here->>>>

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...&tbnid=5lltmGuuhRtkdM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=

Sponsored Links
What Robbie has told you is not strictly correct. The old cable isn't twisted pairs - it is whats called a "quad" - 4 wires twisted together. It is important that the right wires in it are used together ie: blue with orange as one pair, green with brown as the other. It is perfectly OK for ADSL if used in this way. Quad cables actually have better performance than twisted pairs - they are used for professional stusio microphones for example.
There is a lot of old nonsense talked about internal telephony wiring and ADSL - if you think about it, the signal travels miles from your exchange over ordinary telephone cables, a lot of which are still old paper insulated, lead sheathed and over 50 years old. A few metres on the end isn't going to make a lot of difference, unless it is faulty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back