Old Terraced House Wall Insulation Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am thinking of renovating a 1930's ish four bedroom terrace property as a potential investment opportunity.

Read about some new regulations coming in where properties cannot be rented unless have an EPC rating of C or higher.

I think the property may have solid wall rather than cavity wall. See example brick layout I have attached.

Have a few questions looking for some advice on please:

1. From the picture I have attached showing the external brickwork design, does it look to be solid wall and not cavity?

2. If I hired someone to install internal solid wall insulation, presume I would only need to do this on the external walls and not the side walls (due to being a terraced) or other internal walls?

3. I am aware will lose about 4 inches of space with internal solid wall insulation, but there are any other disadvantages?

4. Would it be hard to hang anything heavy such as shelves or fit a tv to the walls that are internally insulated afterwards?

5. Can you share any indicative average costs for this?

Thanks in advance or any comments, thoughts and recommendations.

Attachments

• Example2.jpg
    Example2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Its band E, not C thats for the future and ....The cost cap: you will never be required to spend more than £3,500 (including VAT) on energy efficiency improvements, if you do there is an exemption...... which for a terraced house will mean in practice by 300mm loft insulation, band C will include double glazed windows and doors.. Grants are available.

If you cannot improve your property to EPC E for £3,500 or less, you should make all the improvements which can be made up to that amount, then register an ‘all improvements made’ exemption.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/domesti...-energy-efficiency-standard-landlord-guidance

Hi, This link suggests for properties that are rented it will be come a minimum standard of EPC level C. New EPC Regulations for Landlords in 2025 | Bluedrop Insurance (bluedropservices.co.uk).

Its already double glazed, has not central heating which I intend to install and then top up the loft insulation to above 270mm. You feel this would achieve a EPC rating of C without either cavity wall or solid wall insulation?

Also I didn't think grants were open to landlords unless there is a tenant on a low income living in the property? I was intending to do the work whilst the property is empty and no one living there.

Last edited:
1. From the picture I have attached showing the external brickwork design, does it look to be solid wall and not cavity? Solid.

2. If I hired someone to install internal solid wall insulation, presume I would only need to do this on the external walls and not the side walls (due to being a terraced) or other internal walls? Correct.

3. I am aware will lose about 4 inches of space with internal solid wall insulation, but there are any other disadvantages? My advice is use 60mm thermal laminate board.

4. Would it be hard to hang anything heavy such as shelves or fit a tv to the walls that are internally insulated afterwards? No problem.

5. Can you share any indicative average costs for this? No, sorry.

Thanks in advance or any comments, thoughts and recommendations.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for external wall insulation - doing that makes the walls a part of the building's thermal mass (i.e. the walls will be warm) target is 100mm. It also means you do not loose internal space. I paid £35 per square meter including scaffolding rent, waste disposal etc for the external wall insulation on my property.

Presently to let (rent out) a property the required EPC is 'E' rating; The present plan is to move that requirement to a 'C' in 2025 for new lets and 2028 for existing lets.

The price cap was £3k5 to achieve the 'E' rating. For the 'C' rating the (additional) price cap is £10k so could cost you £13K5 in total.

To get to a 'C' may include such work as loft insulation, underfloor insulation, double or triple glazing, insulated doors, changes to the heating and ventilation, light bulbs. If you own the property find an EPC assessor and have an assessment completed but specify the EPC is Not registered. That EPC document will have recommendations on what work is needed to chive the various ratings.

I will point out that you are considering a investment as a rented property, trying to second guess if and when property goes from a e to a c and what the the penalty regime will be is stupid. You are making an investment...hence you are investing for today...not never never land. The only and I mean the only question when investing in property is what RETURN DO I GET FOR each £ invested. That is it end of. If its not do not invest in property, you are not there to play the white knight you are there to make a return.......
Just do some basic sums.....100k purchase price all in, rent as stands 4k, paint and re carpet for 2k rent 5k pa - well ok 2 years for a return, Invest 10k ( new kitchen etc) rent 6 k....errr 10 years to get a return wtf ? If you are going to invest to sell, then its a different story...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back