Old toilet leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got an old toilet (maybe 1950s or 1960s?) which has developed a drip from the connection between the pan and the soil pipe:

PXL_20240229_153518687.jpg

(I've put a container underneath now to catch the drips).

I've done a bit of DIY on more modern fittings, but I'm not sure what to do with such an old one! It looks like there's some sort of putty that's giving up the ghost, but what am I likely to find when I chip it out? And what do I need to replace it with? Is there likely to be a push fit connector that will do the job? It looks like a 4" output from the pan going into a 6" iron pipe, but of course it's a bit of an awkward spot for measuring!

Many thanks for any help with this.

JimmyB

Sponsored Links
You can get reducers but cast iron is brittle. You could add sealant and then replace the whole cast iron pipe including the external pipe, in due course.

That looks like a 4in cast socket that will be around 6in
Joints were normal made with a length of yarn first then putty and paint.
Be careful if you try to chip it out Sets like rock and very easy to crack pan spigot.
Could try remaking joint with something like plumbers mait (horrid stuff)
Or use a suitable pan connector/extension piece .

Thanks for the help so far!

As a quick bodge it's been suggested that I could use epoxy putty, Sylmast AB Original or Milliput. Bad idea?

Sponsored Links
jimmy, Remove the skirting board.
Use a 9" angle grinder to slice away the "Plumbers Mait".
Prise out any stubborn packing with a large screwdriver.
Then pull back & release the WC.
Then cut the CI hub flush with the wall.
But first cut slices from the CI socket rim to free up for access to get the blade tight to the wall.
You will need an Off-Set WC connector for making good.

Good or bad, I have removed the loose layer of old putty (no chipping required!) and replaced it with Milliput. So far so good and if it holds for a few weeks I'll be happy.

For an encore I've replaced the siphon after finding that the old flap valve was falling apart!

Thanks for all the help and advice!

PXL_20240302_124436768.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back