Old two gang switch to modern one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am struggling with replacing an older light switch with a newer one.
The old switch is wired like the picture, which I have labelled with yellow letters to make it clearer.

IMG_5675b.jpg

A and B are wired together (so I think that is the live).
White is in B1 and Blue is in B2.
A1 is also red and A2 is black.

The new switch has COM1 and COM2 (which I guess I wire together and connect to the live) and L11 next to L12 and L21 next to L22.

Can anyone tell how to wire the new switch so I don't mess it up and burn the house down?

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Where are the earth wires? Old switch should have been earthed. Have not seen the new one.

Wiring info from Derrick very helpful, just replacing my switch, was struggling with new configuration , worked perfect first time, Many Thanks for posting this.

Terminal are often marked C (or COM) for the Common.
L1 & L2 (connects COM to L1 or L2 dependant upon switch position).
Some makes have L1 as one way and some have L2 as one way.
Sometimes the terminals are not named COM , L1, L2 but rather L1, L2, L3.
Some might have little symbols instead.

One easy way is to check your new switch with a multimeter or battery and a lamp/buzzer/bell.
If you can remove the existing to make similar battery checks too that will help put things in perspective unless the existing switch is faulty.
Otherwise, manufactures instructions could help.

A 1 way switch can only be used as a 1 way.
A 2 way switch can be used as a 2 way or a 1 way.
an Intermediate switch can be used as a 2 way or a 1 way or as an Intermediate switch.

I never buy 1 way switches, mostly 2 way and a very few Intermediate switches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back