Old type bath shower mixer problem. How to replace washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a very old shower mixer on my bath, it has been getting harder and harder to press down on the central spring loaded ((thingy)) and divert the water to the shower head!
It now knocks like an air hammer and I have to place the shower head in the bath and turn the water (on and off again) :LOL: and eventually it will divert the water to the shower!
Also a section of the rubber washer has managed to break away and end up in the bath so I need to replace the washer!

I've shown a photo of this at a local plumbers shop but he's never seen this design so could not help!

Can some please offer any advice on how to dismantle so I can replace the washer?

I can easily isolate the hot and cold supply so no problems there if that becomes necessary.
Photo attached..

Sponsored Links
In theory you should be able to get a spanner or wrench underneath the tap/shower diverter and undo it - if it moves! Inside is probably the valve with a spring. Not only would you need to replace the washer but also it's probably caked up with limescale. So a good soaking in limescale remover would do a power of good.

Failing that replace the taps. :)

In theory you should be able to get a spanner or wrench underneath the tap/shower diverter and undo it - if it moves! Inside is probably the valve with a spring. Not only would you need to replace the washer but also it's probably caked up with limescale. So a good soaking in limescale remover would do a power of good.

Failing that replace the taps. :)
Thanx for the reply.
Well there is just enough space for a small wrench and a spanner for sure, but it's perfectly round so I'm stumped :rolleyes:
I've got a tool for gripping pipe but I've got a feeling this central thread is plastic of some kind, no use using a magnet as I assume the metal bits are chrome plated brass!
When you say underneath the tap/shower diverter and undo it
I assume you mean without having to remove the taps from the bath?
Is it possible access could be from underneath so requiring removing the taps?

No the access would be under or above the 'spring loaded thingy' as you call it, and it would have a couple of flat edges for a spanner. Also see if the diverter unscrews.

Sponsored Links
Yeah thingy as that's my technical name for stuff that I don't know much about :oops:
Well I've just carefully checked above and below the diverter (spring loaded thing!) and it's just round, no edge at all for a spanner/wrench etc!!

To make things worse it is plastic eeek :eek: nice chrome finish lol but I used a screwdriver to scratch inside to make sure :(

I've tried unscrewing the diverter but it doesn't seem to want to budge. I assume this is how it comes off as no flat edges for a spanner but if it does unscrew I don't how to get it moving without breaking it :rolleyes:
If this was metal I would have had it off there in a few minutes..

Looks like it's time to invest in a new set of bath mixer taps - unless of course there is another plumber on line with any ideas! Without ruining the taps using grips trying to get the diverter off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back