Old water stain coming through lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago a small water stain appeared through my lining paper (it was a dark colour paint so you couldn't really see it), I had the problem fixed and forgot all about it. I have just redecorated my living room, again putting up lining paper and painting it with a light colour. I have noticed now that the stain is showing through, what can I do about it? Would a darker colour cover it? I would really rather not have to strip the lining paper off and start again. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the water stain had not been sealed correctly, it will continue to leach through and show, you need to use a water stain sealer.

Or paint over the Water stain with a White Oil based undercoat, then redcorate area.

Strange that a simple water stain cannot be painted over. I'd say it was probably more than just water unless the source of the stain (leak or whatever) hasn't been dealt with. Anyway, guaranteed way to seal oil-based stains before painting, including fly spray stains, timber oils etc is Zinsser Coverstain primer. I am a pro painter and it has never failed me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back