old wiring on ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - I took an old light off and didn\\\'t take note of what wire was connected to what. I have 3red wires 3 black wires and 1 green/yellow striped wire coming out of the ceiling - what do i connect where to the new light? the new light has 1 brown 1 blue and 1 green/yellow wire?

many thanks - dumb blonde girl in need of help x ;)

Sponsored Links
ej2206 said:
hi - I took an old light off and didn\\\'t take note of what wire was connected to what. I have 3red wires 3 black wires and 1 green/yellow striped wire coming out of the ceiling - what do i connect where to the new light? the new light has 1 brown 1 blue and 1 green/yellow wire?

many thanks - dumb blonde girl in need of help x ;)

see for reference

Yup - look in for reference - my tip - 2 blacks are neutral, and a mystery black is live.

On another note, I see it so many times on this forum (assuming odd browsers??)

didn\\\'t

Whats with the \\\ in didn't ?

Lectrician said:
On another note, I see it so many times on this forum (assuming odd browsers??)

didn\\\'t

Whats with the \\\ in didn't ?

i\\\ have\\\ no\\\ idea\\\

Sponsored Links
The clue is in the bit at the top where it says

This topic originated from the How to page - any topic created by posting there rather than directly in this forum ends up with those.

It's also why people post questions that are answered in the For Reference topic - they have no idea it exists.

and it also positively encourages digging up old posts despite the fact that the mod team are dead set against people doing that.

I must be missing something??

If it originates somewhere else, how or why does it end up with \\\ ??

Lectrician said:
I must be missing something??

If it originates somewhere else, how or why does it end up with \\\ ??
i'd guess because of poor code by someone ;)

btw as to the original question why have none of the responses mentioned earthing. if there is only one earth wire coming out of the ceiling there is a very very high chance it isn't actually connected to earth properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back