On level 3 2330... how can I get on-site experience?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This may seem a silly question, with possibly no answer, other than the routes I have been taking. In the south west there are no jobs for electricians mates, I have sent in the region of 30 letters to different companies telling them I will work for nothing two days a week while I do one day a week at college... I have not received a single reply. I have completed the practical as well as the theory exams whilst on level 2 and am now in the process of level 3. I have excelled in my examinations... both practical and theory and yet nobody wants me to work for them for nothing, I also have an ECS card. What can I do???
This may seem a stupid question, but would really appreciate any practical advice.
Thanks
ps I am 37 years old

Sponsored Links
Nothing beats meeting people in person. Give them a call and arrange to see them. No-one wants to hire someone they haven't met.

Its gonne be hard with the recession, i was watching channel 4 news earlier and it was at a training college for brickies 16-18yr olds and they couldnt find any companies who could take them on to gain experience for their apprenticeships due to the recession.

Also its gonna be hard with your age as most companies only want youngsters who can be their dogs body or can keep for a few years on a apprenticeship.

I get calls every week asking if i take on apprentices but i just cant at the moment with the way work has slowed down. What companies have you sent the letters to? - i think small companies in yellow pages will be struggling so i'd target the big companies who do commercial work but you never know - get a copy of the business pages and find companies that are big - they might not be based in your area but usually they have work spread across the region.

Are you taking the evening course 2330 - if so surely theres a couple of lads who work for themselves who you could ask or maybe the college lecturers have some contacts?

Also what are you aiming to do - go self employed or work for a company? If your thinking of going self employed personally i would wait a year or so as its slowed down in my neck of the woods compared to last year.

For the time being i would do what you can in your own home and for friends and family until something pops up.

Sponsored Links
Had an apprentice start with me today (nearly finished level 2) on a large housing association contract. I've heard the same story from him, the large contractors are struggling to find work for their best sparks who they haven't already chucked in. He's been trying and had nearly given up hope of getting some proper work and experience.

Still, if he sticks it (a little bit older than normal, so I'd have thought so) he'll get a really good grounding in the noble art of housebashing, which is handy as there are a lot of good sparks out there who have got sucked into the more straightforward price-work on new build sites.

50 rewires, all in occupied flats dating to the late sixties, if he can stick that he'll stick anything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back