One cold rad - need some advice...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have ONE upstairs radiator that is permantently cold. The system comprises 14 rads across 2 floors. So the cold one is likely near the end of the system though I am not sure of the exact flow sequence.

I have been informed by a local "plumber" that the fault could be down to a kinked pipe - possibly following its install 4 years ago - he removed the rad and there was little or not pressure/flow to it. He says the rad valves are not faulty.

However, access to the pipework is very difficult - under a tiled floor which is laid on marine ply - removal would wreck the floor.

I have tried to manually balance the system - little or no effect on the cold rad. However I do recall it got slightly warmer when ALL other rads were off.

Is there a foolproof way to determine whether a kinked pipe could be the fault without ripping up the floor? We can't get to it from underneath without ruining the kitchen ceiling. I'd like to try to determine whether the issue is caused by pipework or incorrect balancing.

Alternatively I am looking for a reputable plumber in the Hockley / Rayleigh area who I could trust to give me a genuine diagnosis.

Any help welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
exactly the same

you use the valves to balance the system

if the heat aint getting to the valves it aint gonna heat no matter what :idea:

if the pipe was not blocked or kinked, water would squirt or gush out of it.

I am a bit puzzled if it is kinked, I would have thought a sediment blockage more likely unless the installers were very careless, so I would start with a chemical cleaner that might loosen old sediment.

if you have a microbore system, and the new rad was added onto the supply to an existing rad, it would also lack flow.

I am not a pro

exactly the same

you use the valves to balance the system

if the heat aint getting to the valves it aint gonna heat no matter what :idea:

So - if the result of the test is the same - how has he managed to diagnose that the fault is a blocked/kinked pipe - as opposed to a "mere" balancing issue?

If it's "just balancing" then I don't have the grief of ripping up the floor/ceiling.

BECAUSE

how can you balance a rad that has no flow to it

or am i just dumb :eek:

My thinking was that the whole BALANCE of the ENTIRE system was out of kilter - therefore no pressure to this particular rad but all the others are OK. Or is that not how the balancing works?

if the pipe was not blocked or kinked, water would squirt or gush out of it.

I am a bit puzzled if it is kinked, I would have thought a sediment blockage more likely unless the installers were very careless, so I would start with a chemical cleaner that might loosen old sediment.

if you have a microbore system, and the new rad was added onto the supply to an existing rad, it would also lack flow.

I am not a pro

Thanks... the new rad was a replacement and relocation of an existing rad - in the same room. There is a header tank - so I am presuming not microbore?

pressure is not the issue

flow is

balancing is balancing the flow to the rads

if you have no flow you can't balance jack

Thanks.

So looks like back to the original question of - can anyone recommend a reputable plumber in the Hockley area?

....or.....

is there any other way we can access the pipe and determined if kinked or blocked.

Regarding the test where the result was 'just a trickle' from each valve is puzzling me.
Was this test carried out with the system off, so the same pressure due to head of water applies equally to the flow and return pipe

I cant see how a blockage would affect both sides of the radiator. I would have expected there to be a noticible difference, or am I mistaken?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back