one cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my downstairs radiator is stone cold, it does not have a thermostat control on it as it is the main heater, i have bled it, it was fine. Now im stuck! please help, i have also bled all other radiators and blasted them all on full heat.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, your radiator can receive water from both of the two pipes connected to it, and therefore water will bleed out....trouble is, one of the pipes could be blocked preventing the circulation of hot water.
However, make sure that both of the valves are open on this radiator, then close off the other rads in the house one by one. If this restores the heat then you have a balancing issue which is easier to sort.
John :)

Sponsored Links
thanks for speedy reply, so to open the valves does that mean taking the plasic covers off and using plyers to loosen it? should i expect any leakage or hissing? i have turned all the radiators off bar this one and it still has no heat (sorry im a girl.. but still better at DIY than my husband!!)

One of your rad valves should have a top that you can turn by hand, to regulate it.
The other one is called a lockshield valve and thats used to balance the system - but the valves are exactly the same! This cap may be retained with a screw that you remove first, or it may just be push on. Open this valve with a small spanner if possible, or pliers if you must!
Make sure That the valve you can regulate is actually turning the spindle beneath it....sometimes the plastic splines wear.

Ok, so have you opened them both with your spanner or pliers?
Count how many turns you make.

did both of them but nothing happened, think i need to get someone out, ive not lived here long and it is a brand new house, im unsure if it has ever worked, only noticed it wasnt on since it has been so cold outside!

i tried that nothing happened, had heating right up and only that radiator on and nothing happened! it is cold all over!

Try closing one valve and open the bleeder. has it a good flow. If so reverse the operation ie open that valve and close the other and bleed again to check flow

Well unfortunately it seems that the water supply to that radiator is obstructed somewhere.
The next stage, if you want to proceed, is to turn that rad completely off, and drain it down.
After that, each valve is opened in turn...one will pass water (pardon the expression) and one won't.
As your house is brand new though, perhaps you should call the builder now.

i just tried did not get a good flow from opening and closing either side, time to call someone out i think! fortunately there is warranty so it wont cost me anything, just annoyed i couldnt do it myself! could it be frozen?? there is water in it but could the pipes be frozen? it is in my hallway along side my front door..?

oops;- just picked that up ( brand new house) Don't want tamperings to invalidate any warranty. Its up to you if you want to carry on. Or just replace everything and deny touching it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back