One electrician finishing another's work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this doesn't make sense, just looking to get some opinions on this (currently hypothetical) situation, which might be a bit complicated. Apologies for the long post, and for any inaccuracies etc included, this isn't my area of expertise!

We've had an extension built at the rear of our property which has involved knocking through from our kitchen into the new space, which will become a dining room. It's all built and plastered and yesterday the electrician came to complete the second fix (installing light fittings and plug sockets) - he'd done the first fix earlier in the project.

Our old consumer unit and electricity meter used to be on the kitchen wall which has now been knocked through, so needed to be moved. Electricity North West moved the meter so it now sits outside in a cabinet, and the electrician replaced and moved the consumer unit so it sits on another wall in the kitchen.

As part of the project, we are having a new kitchen fitted. At the time we had the consumer unit moved, we didn't know which kitchen we would be having so had to choose a place for the unit knowing it might eventually have to move. Now we have the new kitchen planned and ordered, to be fitted starting 7th December, we know the consumer unit does indeed need moving about 100mm down and 50mm to the left, to then be housed in a new kitchen cupboard.

The electrician has said he can do this - however, the cables that are in from the first move are cut to length so he'll have to redo them (this involves getting under the floorboards of the bedroom above the kitchen, where they've been jointed) and when it's moved, he'll connect the unit up the mains permanently (it's temped up at the moment). He'll also just need to hardwire in our new boiler (it's currently plugged in to the mains) and fit an extractor fan in the downstairs WC (which now has no window).

He's due to return to do all this next Monday. The trouble is, he hasn't been the most reliable in turning up. He will often miss the days he says he will come and as such, we are never 100% confident he will arrive when he says he will. He has been organised by the builder who does chase him, but it can be hit and miss sometimes.

The complication is, as part of the kitchen fit, we have a second electrician coming next Tuesday to move sockets and add another for the new kitchen set up (he is organised through the kitchen company). Before this, the consumer unit really needs moving and all connections made perm. It absolutely needs doing before the kitchen fit starts on 7th December.

This extension project has taught me to plan for the worst so I'm thinking, what if our original electrician just doesn't turn up to do the work in time? And I was wondering, would the second electrician from the kitchen company be prepared to do the rest of the work, i.e. moving the consumer unit, finishing the connection work, hardwiring the boiler etc, if absolutely needed?

The potential complications seem to suggest not - he wouldn't have done the extension wiring so couldn't vouch for it, he might not have time etc. Most of all, we need certification of the electrics in the extension for Building Control sign off, so not sure how that would work if one electrician had wired up the extension and moved the consumer unit, and another had moved it again afterwards.

Basically, I know it might not be an issue in the end and the best way to find out is to ask the second electrician, but I didn't want to do so if that's just not a done thing. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
An electrician should complete the minor works or installation certificate before the electric is turned back on, the compliance or completion certificate issued comes latter through the post normally, but where a job is in progress then it is common for the electrician to power up parts without writing out the certificate, however he should test it, so what you are talking about is what the first electrician will do.

Second electrician will issue paperwork for what he has done, that's simple, but the first electrician wants a date on his certificate which pre-dates the second electricians, but can't see how he can be pedantic when he has not done as promised, it's his problem he is not there on time, and his problem if he did not record reading when he did temporary work.

He'll also just need to hardwire in our new boiler (it's currently plugged in to the mains)
The boiler doesn't need to be hardwired, although many people do believe they have to. There are advantages to having it on a plug and socket - one being that when we start having power cuts, it will be possible to power the boiler from a generator or battery and inverter just by unplugging it from the socket and plugging it into the genny/inverter.
The actual requirement is that there must be a means of isolation for both live and neutral, and a plug&socket meets that requirement.

When mum had a new boiler installed, I popped back up as they were finishing and one of the fitters was "a bit annoyed" when I "instructed" him that he was refitting the socket that he'd needlessly replaced with a fused connection unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back