Signing-Off Electrical Work

ijc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope this is a simple question... I've just had a new kitchen, and so had an electrician in to move a few sockets around and add a couple more.

It's all in and working, but the electrician says he can't sign it off unless he gives me an RCD protected consumer unit for another £240. He says it regulations. I'm surprised by this because my existing unit has MCBs and is fairly new.

I'm struggling to find regulations which enforce this, but I'm not familiar enough to know if I'm being taken for a ride...

Grateful as ever for advice!

Ian

Sponsored Links
RCD protected sockets are a requirement of BS7671, the spark would be failing if he did not highlight the fact you are not up to current standard. However, its up to you wether you follow this advise. On the jobs I've done with no RCD protection, I have simply noted that there is no RCD on the certificates and asked the customer to sign it so there is no come back if you don't follow the advise. Personally, I would get the work done for your own safety.

Can we have a picture of the existing CU?

Did you get it fitted? if so, what year approx? and do you have any certificates from the installer?

Hi

Thanks for your responses. I'll take a piccy of the existing unit when I get chance (I'm at work at the moment), but I can tell you the guy who fitted it did so about 2 years ago, and provided no certificate. Basically, I think he just replaced the blocks which held the fuse wire with MCB switches.

Regarding the sign-off, my sparky never said he could caveat his sign-off with a note about the need for RCDs, rather he just said he couldn't sign it off without it.

Then he asked for £240 to fit them. ;)

Ho hum.

Sponsored Links
Is your new electrician a member of a self-certification scheme; will he test his installation and issue you with a certificate?

If not, don't pay him £240, find a proper person to do it properly.

I must admit I assumed he was self-certifying given the nature of our conversations, but it's not something I specifically checked out first. He came to me as referral from someone I usually trust.

That's good advice though, I'll find out exactly what he's qualified to do, and take it from there.

Thanks

Ian

he certainly shouldn't have done work he wasn't prepared to certify in the first place without warning you first.

if he is a memeber of a scheme i'd report him to his scheme, if not get in touch with trading standards and building control.

Seems a bit harsh, if the work involves adding to an existing circuit it is up to the electrician to ensure this circuit+earthing+bonding meets todays standards. It sounds to me like you have a standard Wylex board with plug in MCBs, it may be possible to add an external RCD in an adjacent enclosure for this circuit?

Cheers. Yup, it did occur to me from what I've read that RCDs can be added, and so quote seemed a bit excessive.

I'll have to get a detailed quote from the guy. But you know how can be - it's easier for the tradesman not to explain, detail or list anything other than the bottom line. God forbid he explain the technical options, in case they include something he doesn't fancy doing.... ;)

I wish I could get you a picture but I won't be home until late tonight. The most similar one I can find is this. It has the series of pull-out fuses, although my fuse wire holders were replaced with MCBs in the existing slots, so imagine it with a switches!

In case my url fails:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/217998311_dbbade2b71.jpg

Sorry - 'tis the best I can find.....

217998311_dbbade2b71.jpg

I had a similar experience with an electrician registered under one of the competent person schemes. He basically told me that I had to have a new cooker circuit in addition to my existing one and flat out refused to do any diversity calcs when I mentioned it. And he said that I HAD to have a CU with RCD protection "by law".

He then sent me a quote for said work and didn't mention anything about a separate radial for the fridgefreezer (which I consider a competent electrician should do when advising total RCD protection of all sockets in my house).

I told him where to shove his £800+ quote and gave the work to someone who would actually listen. He installed my extra cooker circuit (I decided to do it whilst the floor was up) and moved some sockets in my kitchen, tested the work he had done and duly warned me about RCD protection (and noted it on the certificate).

As a result, he's getting the job of putting in a new CU and will get the future work for my exterior electrics. When it comes down to it, if you don't trust the person to be straight with you, don't employ them I say.

Imagine being asked to provide a quote to replace that...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back