Signing off others work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to find a electrician to sign off (AKA "Commission") my wiring?

Are you professional types all going to give me grief for wanting to save money and wire up my new-build extension?

I have done loads of wiring through the 80's and 90's. I have re-wired a complete house before, I have a degree in electrical and electronic engineering, a good understanding of IEE wiring regulations. I even have the book right here, - but technically I'm now not allowed to install my own wiring :(

So how do I go about finding a sympathetic registered electrician who will be prepared to check my work, possibly advise if necessary, and get my extension signed off, ie keep the cost down. - Do you exist?

I live in Surrey BTW

Sponsored Links
Hello Skyblob,
Are you in one of the 'posh' parts of Surrey ? (£££££) :LOL:

To be honest I cannot see anyone risking their registration over the signing off of a conservatory that they have not cabled, let alone come here and admit it ;) .

Ed

get my extension signed off, ie keep the cost down.
If you want someone else to notify Building Control via one of the competent persons schemes, this simply won't happen.
Members of competent persons schemes are only permitted to notify their own work.

You CAN install your own wiring, provided that you notify Building Control before the work is started. This would entail submitting a building notice, or full plans for larger works. A fee is payable.

If you have done the work without submitting plans or a building notice, you will need to apply for a regularisation certificate. This is similar to applying before the work is done, except it will cost more and may require that parts of the installation are dismantled or removed for inspection purposes.

If you just want someone to test & inspect work you have already done, there are plenty of people/companies which will do this. You will get a PIR (Periodic Inspection Report).
Some local authorities may accept this when considering compliance with building regulations, others may have completely different requirements.

The only other option is an electrical installation certificate with 3 sections (design, installation, testing), however this almost certainly will NOT apply in your case. Those are intended for large installations where the design would be completed by one company/person, various others would install it, and a third person or company would test/inspect at the end to ensure it all complies with the original design.
Examples would be a new housing estate, where clearly it would be impossible for one person to do everything, or installations for a manufacturing plant, office complex, supermarket etc.

Sponsored Links
So how do I go about finding a sympathetic registered electrician who will be prepared to check my work, possibly advise if necessary, and get my extension signed off, ie keep the cost down. - Do you exist?
Of course they exist, you just have to call around. Flameport has also given several other quite sensible options. At the end of the day nobody is going to bust you if you get a satisfactory PIR carried out and that will also almost certainly be all you need if you want to sell your house.

Thanks Flameport, Chapeau.

It's refreshing to get a useful response without being flamed for even asking.

Rgds

get my extension signed off, ie keep the cost down.
If you want someone else to notify Building Control via one of the competent persons schemes, this simply won't happen.
If you do mean that, and you do find one, it becomes a bit like Groucho Marx's observation on clubs - you really wouldn't want to be on the paper trail of anyone prepared to do it.

When you applied for Building Regulations approval for your extension, what did you say would be the way you would comply with Part P?

When you applied for Building Regulations approval for your extension, did you look at what your LABC's position is on electrical work done by unregistered electricians?

Are you now in the position of needing to give something to your LABC so that you can get your completion certificate from them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back