Two consumer units, okay or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having the kitchen extension connected soon and the consumer unit needs to be replaced as there isn't a spare for the new electric cooker circuit. The electrician said we would need a 12 way but when he tried to get one locally they only had 10 way so he has suggested two 6 way consumer units. Is this okay or should I insist on a 12 way?

Sponsored Links
two 6-ways is OK but he will also need to install a separate MAIN SWITCH as there must be a single point to isolate the installation.

He isn't looking too hard for consumer units (assuming its a dual RCD one) I can get 10, 12, 15, 21 and larger. He won't get it in Wickes or B&Q though!

Thanks for the reply.

I think the local suppliers here in Inverness don't hold as much stock as in the rest of the UK.

Each consumer unit would be supplying an installation and each would have a main switch so no problem and no up-front separate main switch required.

Sponsored Links
I'd still prefer a single CU where possible though I have 2 x 10 way dual RCD CU's.

two 6-ways is OK but he will also need to install a separate MAIN SWITCH as there must be a single point to isolate the installation.
Each consumer unit would be supplying an installation and each would have a main switch so no problem and no up-front separate main switch required.

537.1.4?

Is it really 2 different installations because there are 2 CU's side by side?

I'm going off memory as I don't have a copy of BS7671 with me but check definitions for an electrical installation.

It also happens to be the same guidance that the ECA give.

A main linked switch or linked circuit - breaker shall be provided as near as practicable to the origin of every installation as a means of switching the supply on load and as a means of isolation. . .

Definition of Installation:

Electrical installation (abbr: Installation). An assembly of associated electrical equipment having co-ordinated characteristics to fulfil specific purposes.

Hmm pretty vague definition right enough.

I guess it's a grey area but it makes sense to me to have a single point of isolation for a typical dwelling.

It does seem a little vague, although it reads to me that there should be one main switch, it isnt really a 'main' switch if there is more than one of them.

If required I always fit one main switch.

On this install it sounds like he would have two 6-way CUs side by side. Not one in the hall and one in the kitchen.

I would expect there to be a 30mA at the front end of each of these CUs with a separate main switch to isolate the whole house if needed.

As this is a domestic "unskilled" situation I would say a single main switch is mandatory.

There is nothing stopping the installer siting the main switch in one of the consumer units and taking tails out of the bottom of the switch into the next board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back