one for experienced oil burner enginners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Upon setting up a oil burner, why is it neccessary to get the CO2 bang on as a leading factor, why this figure opposed to others? Boiler MI state depending on boiler to be set anywhere from 11%-12% depending on boiler is it ok to set it to 10% CO2 even if manufactures state otherwise as i see on other posts engineers like to set CO2 to 10% opposed to manufactures spec 11%-12% why? and would this make a difference to the running of your boiler and is this exceptable, Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Not quite sure if I understand your post correctly, but, the CO2 is often set per MI's then wound back 1% to give better overall burner efficiency over the year based on its efficiency / cleanliness dropping off as it reaches service time.

CO2 levels if to high will cause the boiler to soot up quickly (incomplete combustion)

12% boiler sooting around 12 months
11% boiler never soots up
10% boiler never soots but lower efficiency compared to 11%

10% will be fine i have arrived at quite a few oil burners set at 10% and trying to adjust them has sent the coppm sky high

Sponsored Links
Its just that i was setting the CO2 on an oil boiler the other day and i could not get the CO2 anyway near the manufactures spec of 11.5% without the CO PPM going sky high i set the CO2 to 10% and all my other figures worked out fine including CO. Then again the boiler is about 18 years old so maybe thats the reason i could not get CO2 bang on at 11.5% so to set it at 10% is perfectly fine thanks :D

If theres one thing to learn about oil boilers is that......sod the co2,just make sure youve got no smoke,cos thats the worst thing to have especially nowadays on conventional condensing boilers. Nothing worse than hoovering out wet Soot.

CO2 levels if to high will cause the boiler to soot up quickly (incomplete combustion)

12% boiler sooting around 12 months
11% boiler never soots up
10% boiler never soots but lower efficiency compared to 11%

10% will be fine i have arrived at quite a few oil burners set at 10% and trying to adjust them has sent the coppm sky high

i don't agree fully with the above.

most oil boilers i install have co2 of 11.5 to 12.5% as the recommended setting.

if the boiler is room sealed then these boilers will be fine for long periods. i have some that run these figures that are 7 plus years old and never experience sooting at service.

if they aren't room sealed then you do notice some sooting at service but this is normally because of carp in the fan blades etc due to pet hair or the house generally being dirty!!

boilers which are older generally over 10 years old then i would agree with gassafeengineer figures.

if you can't get the co ppm ok with the correct co2 and pump pressure and flue temp then it is normally either motor starting to turn too slowly or there is a restriction in the air/flue

i assume you always put a new injector each service. (plus don't rely on the existing one being correct. nearly got caught out on a 2 year old worcester which had the wrong injector. was burning ok but had the setting altered loads to achieve it)

........................if they aren't room sealed then you do notice some sooting at service but this is normally because of carp in the fan blades etc due to pet hair or the house generally being dirty.

When I was servicing old and neglected oil boilers pet hair was my pet hate! (usually in those horsey houses.......you know what I mean!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back