One halogen bulb in each room not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wondering if someone has some insight;
My property has almost every room filled with 12V 50W halogen MR16 GU5.3 bulbs, kitchen has 6, lounge has 12, bathroom has 4, ensuite has 3 and hallway 3. Of these 5 areas each one has one connection which will not work.
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Blown lamp, defective transformer, defective lamp holder...just coincidence that it's happened in all rooms..

My opinion anyway..

Or lazy spark hasn't connected them..

Blown lamp, defective transformer, defective lamp holder...just coincidence that it's happened in all rooms..

My opinion anyway..

Or lazy spark hasn't connected them..

Interesting, many thanks for the reply.

is this a special premises, it may be possible they are fittings converted to emergency lights and the control units have failed, may be wise to remove one and investigate what is supplying it.

Sponsored Links
is this a special premises, it may be possible they are fittings converted to emergency lights and the control units have failed, may be wise to remove one and investigate what is supplying it.

Mmmm, not sure what you mean by "special premises", it's a ground floor apartment if that means anything ?

My property has almost every room filled with 12V 50W halogen MR16 GU5.3 bulbs, kitchen has 6, lounge has 12, bathroom has 4, ensuite has 3 and hallway 3. Of these 5 areas each one has one connection which will not work.
Many thanks in advance.
You do realise that you have a potential for 1.4kw of lamps to be on at the same time. I take you don't have/need central heating ;)

I take it not all the 'broken' lamps are the same type MR16 or GU10's?
And none of them work when you replace the bulbs?

Many thanks in advance.
You do realise that you have a potential for 1.4kw of lamps to be on at the same time. I take you don't have/need central heating ;)

I take it not all the 'broken' lamps are the same type MR16 or GU10's?
And none of them work when you replace the bulbs?

Ha. Im quite good at turning lights off when I'm not in that particular room, and the lounge ones are rarely on at all, so never had the benefit of overhead heating.

They are all MR16 type, and correct, replacing each of the non working ones with a new bulb still does not work.

I've even replaced the ones which had cheap B&Q bulbs in them with Osram ones so they are all the same type but didn't make any difference.

They are all MR16 type, and correct, replacing each of the non working ones with a new bulb still does not work.
I've even replaced the ones which had cheap B&Q bulbs in them with Osram ones so they are all the same type but didn't make any difference.
Just to clear one thing up, the five haven't all gone at the same time I take it.
If not then it is more than likely, as others have said, that your lamps transformer(s) have gone or your ceramic pin holder is broken.
I would go with transformer.
If there is one transformer per lamp you should be able to pull the lamp out of the ceiling and the transformer should be accessible. You should also be able to look at the ceramic pin holder at the same time - you can buy and replace these as well.
If you feel confident and are competent you should be able to change them (ceramic pin holder and/or transformer) yourself, however make sure the power if off and tested before you begin.
Also make sure you replace a similar rated transformer something in the 20/100w range.

Just to clear one thing up, the five haven't all gone at the same time I take it.
If not then it is more than likely, as others have said, that your lamps transformer(s) have gone or your ceramic pin holder is broken.
I would go with transformer.
If there is one transformer per lamp you should be able to pull the lamp out of the ceiling and the transformer should be accessible. You should also be able to look at the ceramic pin holder at the same time - you can buy and replace these as well.
If you feel confident and are competent you should be able to change them (ceramic pin holder and/or transformer) yourself, however make sure the power if off and tested before you begin.
Also make sure you replace a similar rated transformer something in the 20/100w range.

That's wonderful, thank you for the reply. Very helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back