one light into two

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my daughter is complaining her little room where her clothers are hung is too dark. was thinking ov fitting a light. its not to far away from the switch. but ideally i wanted a 2 way switch so she can turn it off when its not being used. can anyone advise please. stuff i need etc and the easiest way too do it. thanks

Sponsored Links
easiest way round that problem is to get a differnt light fitting, one with adjustable spotlights, less wiring and easier to do.

But if you really insist on doing it the hard way...... (let me know and i will rply, incidentally the switch position is irelevant, since you will also need to go above the existing light, are you sure you don't want to change the fitting

i do have a double switch i could stick on the wall would that make the job easier ? i was thinking ov just looping from the other light but that means the light i`m sticking in will be on all the time. and ideally i wanted it so i could switch that off but leave the main bedroom on on. thanks for all your help its really appreciated ;)

you will still have to get ABOVE the existing light, and run a NEW cable to the existing switch, you can not loop from the existing switch to make the new light work, as the switch only has a live and switched live, you also neeed a neutral

Sponsored Links
is there anywhere i could get a diagram from or as some would say an idiots guide :LOL:

[rolf harris meets homer simpson...could be interesting....

lamps.gif

all cables should be 1.5mm twin and earth

Breezer's,what programme are you doing your drawing on ? TIA

Just another option.....

Loop from existing light fitting into pullcord then into new light fitting. Granted it may not work without the existing light fitting being on (depending how you lighting circuit is wired)...but it may be easier and save destroying your walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back