One light trips on RCD'ed CU.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new MK 17th Edition Dual RCD motherboard fitted on Saturday, by a Fully licenced Sparky...

The problem I have is that he would fix one fault. We have one light circuit that will trip the RCDs if any light is connected to the ceiling.

The sparky on Saturday did change one piece of cable to allow testing, but would not fix the fault.

I have tested it with just a two wire drop pendant and that trips, take the pendant back out, reset the trips all ok.

My normal Sparky is on Paternity leave for the next 2 weeks. I don't fancy taking pot luck in finding someone to diagnose the fault.

What would be involved in running new cable, from the switch to the rose in the ceiling ?

Sponsored Links
PS. The light worked fine before it was on a connected to the RCD Fusebox.

If I were doing a Consumer Unit change, I would have done a Periodic Inspection of the installation before changing the board. This would have identified any faults in the installation beforehand and given you and he the opportunity to discuss your options.

Two things - did you foolishly agree that he would NOT do a PIR before he fitted the board - if so then as long as the schedule of test results comply then why would he fix it.

If you did agree for the PIR to be completed then this issue probably would have shown up before the board was fitted and you could have negotiated a repair price with the electrician. If so get him back to repair the problem.

Replacing the Consumer Unit requires notification to your Local Authority Building Control. The electrician should have done this on your behalf either directly or through his competent persons scheme. If he is a member of such a scheme then you can complain to them.

It is amazing how many usual electricians are not available - just when you need them isn't it ;)

Sponsored Links
It is amazing how many usual electricians are not available - just when you need them isn't it ;)
I imagine that at least some of the unavailable/holidaying/retired electricians exist because posters have perused the forum and hence predicted the sort of responses they might get if they worded their questions differently! One can but assume that electricians who have decided to participate in a 'DIY' forum have thought this through and decided that they are comfortable to particpate constructively in such a forum, even when they do read between the lines.

Kind Regards, John.

I imagine that at least some of the unavailable/holidaying/retired electricians exist because posters have perused the forum and hence predicted the sort of responses they might get if they worded their questions differently! One can but assume that electricians who have decided to participate in a 'DIY' forum have thought this through and decided that they are comfortable to particpate constructively in such a forum, even when they do read between the lines.

Kind Regards, John.
My position is quite straightforward.

If people are really DIYing, and say so, I'll advise based on my perception of their competence. Usually I will try to encourage and facilitate them in actually learning, on the "teach a man to fish" principle.

If they say they are using an electrician I'll tell them that the electrician has to be the one to assist and advise them and make design decisions.

If they say they are using an electrician but aren't then as far as I'm concerned they can ESAD.

My position is quite straightforward.
If people are really DIYing, and say so, I'll advise based on my perception of their competence. Usually I will try to encourage and facilitate them in actually learning, on the "teach a man to fish" principle.
If they say they are using an electrician I'll tell them that the electrician has to be the one to assist and advise them and make design decisions.
If they say they are using an electrician but aren't then as far as I'm concerned they can ESAD.
Yes, I've observed your position. It's very reasonable in concept, and often even in execution. When there are clear competence issues, no-one can argue with the approach you describe, but it's probably sometimes anticipated discussions about 'legality'/bureacracy (rather than competence) which cause electricians to go on holiday.

However, I wasn't 'getting at' you and I think my general point remains - that it's more-or-less inevitable that 'electricians on holiday' will always be a fairly common phenomenon and that anyone who has a problem with that would probably be more comfortable if they were not trying to participate in a 'DIY' forum.

Kind Regards, John.

is it the landing light at the top of the stairs ?

search for "borrowed Neutral" if it is

Borrowed neutral is the common cause, though other faults can cause similar problems - like a 2 gang switch on different circuits wired wrongly.
Or dead short between earth and neutral that previously went undetected.

It's a bit odd your electrician left you in this situation - he could have spread the two affected circuits on one rcd, just as a temporary measure.

Paternity leave indeed.

I imagine that at least some of the unavailable/holidaying/retired electricians exist because posters have perused the forum and hence predicted the sort of responses they might get if they worded their questions differently!
You mean he is not telling the truth - and he fitted the CU himself :eek:

If he is telling the truth the answer to the question should still remain the same.
The person who fitted the consumer unit is responsible for it and the installation and so should complete the repair. (Unless this was excluded in the contract).
If he refuses then report him to the competent persons scheme he is registered to.
I would also be concerned that the OP has not been left with any documentation and/or the LA has not been informed.

If the OP is not telling the truth - then he needs to wise up and get someone in who knows what they are doing before something goes horribly wrong.

I know this is a DIY forum, but do you consider fitting a Consumer Unit a DIY project?

I think my general point remains - that it's more-or-less inevitable that 'electricians on holiday' will always be a fairly common phenomenon and that anyone who has a problem with that would probably be more comfortable if they were not trying to participate in a 'DIY' forum.
If you're expressing support for the idea that any tolerance whatsoever should be extended to people who come here and lie to us then you too can ESAD.

I think my general point remains - that it's more-or-less inevitable that 'electricians on holiday' will always be a fairly common phenomenon and that anyone who has a problem with that would probably be more comfortable if they were not trying to participate in a 'DIY' forum.
If you're expressing support for the idea that any tolerance whatsoever should be extended to people who come here and lie to us then you too can ESAD.
How unpleasant. bas doesn't exactly invite friendship does he?

I imagine that at least some of the unavailable/holidaying/retired electricians exist because posters have perused the forum and hence predicted the sort of responses they might get if they worded their questions differently!
You mean he is not telling the truth - and he fitted the CU himself :eek:
Well, since I was responding to your comment, I guess I meant whatever it was that you meant - so that probably puts the ball back into your court :)

I know this is a DIY forum, but do you consider fitting a Consumer Unit a DIY project?
I consider it a project for someone competent to do the job, regardless of their status. Whilst most electricians are hopefully competent to do it, and most DIYers probably not, I have no doubt that there are minorities in both groups for whom the opposite is the case.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back