One pipe system, dont even know where to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading all the posts on here about one pipe systems, which is what I have in a pretty big house.
The system was here 20 yeas ago when I moved here. since then I have taken some rads out.. fitted TRV pretty much everywhere!!!
No plumber has ever said anything about not doing that!
One Rad in the kitchen was just taken off and the pipes capped years ago.
So all that said, my heating by all what I have been reading should not be working at all? But it does?
There are 2 fairly big ones that don't get more than luke warm hence I was on here looking for some advice.
Looks like I need to be taking all old rads off and flushing them?
Then taking all TRV off and replacing with special ones?
To change the system would need to rip the house apart as pipes weave in and out of walls and concrete floors.
Is there anything else I should be looking to do?

Advise gratefully received! :rolleyes: :?:

Sponsored Links
providing the trv's are full flow valves then they should work ok on a one pipe system.

With a one-pipe system, balancing the radiators is more critical than a two pipe system, so you may need to either get someone in to do this, or have a fiddle yourself if you are confident enough. Also, one-pipe systems have a tendency to collect a fair bit more sludge in them, if they haven't been regularly flushed through, due to this critical balancing. :)

Great, thank you.
will get going on cleaning out rads... They have never been cleaned out!
Will look into the balancing thing, looks like I could do with a pair of of radiator thermometers then just need to work out which is the first rad, second one and so one as the pipes go up down all over the house :eek:

From what I have understood, there is no point in getting the system power flushed?

Thank!

Sponsored Links
How would I know if they are full flow TRV? they look totally normal to me, and I think several I have just bought from plumbers shop to give to the plumber, none have ever mentioned special ones.
I also have gone around the house turning rads off in rooms that have not been used this has not seem to make any difference to the rest getting hot.

The plumbing world is a bit of a mystery to me :confused: :rolleyes:

Thank you guy's!!
it is all becoming just a little bit clearer to me. looking at the drawing, the one pipe one is the one I have except I have a megaflo with the pump next to it.
Managed to find a reasonable priced Laser Infrared Thermometer from Amazon- a lot cheaper than buying new rads, which is what I was thinking that I needed to do.

I do need to replace on rad, only I do not have any space and was thinking of a flat panel vertical one 200 x 1200, it would be what is probably the end of the circuite, is it going to work :rolleyes: ?

The plumbing world is a bit of a mystery to me :rolleyes: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back