One rad coming on despite TRV at 0

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0.

This goes for two TRVs...
- Basic programmable Bluetooth one that uses a motorised push-pin.
- Old basic TRV with settings 0-5.

On removal of TRV, the pin goes up and down. Not loads, but I'm not sure how much it should.

Pages online suggest this problem may relate to diverter valve / check valve. I also saw a video where the chap fiddles with the lockshield end.

- Logic combi boiler is new, was installed in February 2022, replacing old boiler.
- I removed the programmable valve in September to reset it/changed batteries for the winter.
- Last month, I also attempted to bleed the rads and repressurised the boiler a bit. Current pressure is 2.1-2.2 when making hot water. Above the kitchen/utility area is the towel rail I fiddled with last month (@terryplumb).
- I have repeatedly pushed the radiator pin up and down manually to check for movement, in case something there was stuck.
- I have checked that the push-in of the programmable TRV with the motor does actually move up and down, and it does.
- Today, I put the basic old valve back on, replacing the slightly fancier one, to check whether it was the TRV at fault. But it's still happening.
- The pipe on the right, without the TRV, gets hot first. That's the lockshield end, right?
+ I have applied WD-40 to the valve pin.

Kitchen radiator is adjacent to boiler in utility room containing boiler. Kitchen rad is the only one to come on without asking like this.

It makes a hissing-water sound until I push the pin down with a finger or object, which I think closes the gate.
And it makes that hissing-water sound at TRV 0, though it is quieter at anything above 0.

What's going on here?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I assume the kitchen rad only heats up when central heating is running .
Have you changed the valve body ,or just the actuator heads ?

I assume the kitchen rad only heats up when central heating is running .
Have you changed the valve body ,or just the actuator heads ?
Yes, only when central heating is running. That is, only when I use the wireless room stat to have a temperature above the current temperature.
I have only unscrewed the heads, not any of the real plumbing. (This is the programmable one - https://www.eq-3.com/products/homematic/detail/radiator-thermostat-model-m.html It's currently wearing a basic old TRV).

Appears that the valve body ,internally ,is permanently jammed partially open and needs replacing.

Sponsored Links
Appears that the valve body ,internally ,is permanently jammed partially open and needs replacing.
Potentially something I could so as a DIYer? Just watched this

I guess I need an "angled" valve body only, in either 10mm or 15mm (?). They seem quite cheap, even with the head control...

Strange how this would have happened so soon after the stuff I did re: heated towel rail and winter prep the other week.

DAD2B690-0B0E-448C-BE3A-61C1DED0524A.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back