Ongoing Home Improvements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So having never done any plastering or plumbing before i decided to tackle as much as i can myself. Thanks to these forums and the wealth of information available on the internet.

When we moved in the first thing we did was get an electrician to rewire the house, a single socket in each room just wasn't going to cut it. I asked him to just do the wiring everything else i will finish off. We got mates rates for this as well which is why i didn't do it myself.

So first job has been to get the first bedroom done.

Off with the wallpaper.

Bits of the old plaster started to come away so i removed anything loose.

Started with some plastering, used Hardwall.

Removed the old radiator as im going to redo the whole central heating system. The wall on the right is the one from the previous photo, i skimmed the whole wall.

I filled and skimmed this wall as well.

The ceiling had a textured finish so i got a belt sander and got it pretty flat then skimmed that as well.

A lot done now, new skirting on, and walls papered (first time doing that as well how easy the paste the wall stuff is). New radiator on the wall.

Ran the pipes from the radiator to the room next door, left capped for now until the whole house is piped up. Replaced any damaged floor boards while i was at at.
Carpet down as well, father in law did that.

I'm under no illusion that its perfect, but i'm extremely happy with the results. I'm sure as each room is done i will improve and i must be saving a bucket load of money.

The central heating has been the biggest learning experience so much to read about but i think i have it covered, the plan being to replace all pipework to near where the new boiler is going then get the local engineer to fit a new boiler.

Plastering im finding is just a few basic rules to stick to then practice, practice and more practice. Bring on the next bedroom.

Sponsored Links
Yeah you've done a great job, respect for the plastering as I've tried a couple of bits where the plaster fell off when the windows were fitted, and it was more of an art form than I could handle! Filler was no problem but the skimming just seemed a struggle to get things smooth when some areas were existing plaster and some were new hardwall.

Started with the next room now. Stripped the paper off during the week, on this wall gave up when the plaster started to come away from the wall, today this is the result.

This is the rest of the room.

Jobs for today are to remove all skirting boards and prep the walls for repair/plastering.

Sponsored Links
Nice job.
Don't know if you checked this out first but just a heads up for future reference...
I've just done an asbestos course for work and was shocked to find that some of those textured "artex" type ceilings can contain asbestos so sometimes better to skim over them as worst thing you can do is create dust by sanding it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back