Online/Digital version of the 18th Edition od BS7671

It is interesting that the argument is being twisted to suit various points of view. JohnW2 seems to be suggesting that someone is suggesting vat on books. I didn't hear this suggestion.
It was JohnD who appeared to be saying that it was illogical that, when used as a 'business tool', a printed copy of BS7671 attracts no VAT, although virtually all other tools of an electrician's trade were subject to standard VAT. However, as I said/implied in my subsequent post, it would be unworkable for the VAT rate applicable to a particular printed document to be dependent on how it is to be used - and, whether it is appropriate or not, printed books are zero rated.
The IET electronic version of BS7671 is a different product. It is a year's rental of BS7671 plus other documents. The paper version is yours to keep. Electronic versions are generally cheaper to reflect the lower cost of distribution, anyway.
The financial comparison is complicated. Whilst one can keep the paper version for ever, it will usually only remain 'current' for, say, around 3 years, after one has to buy a new document. With subscriptions, I think one automatically gets access to new amendments (and maybe even editions - I'm not sure about that), without any further payment (just the annual subscription)
... The UK government, while it keeps that name, could extend vat exemption to all electronic publications afterwards. I'm not holding my breath.
It would certainly seem logical to put paper and electronic books on the same basis - whether that meant charging VAT on paper ones or removing it from electronic ones. I see no rational reasons for the format to determine taxability.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes, but why tax things that go soft and not things that go hard?
Again, I think it was the result of an attempt at 'workable simplicity' - the idea (presumably deriving from the Left of the political spectrum) was seemingly to more heavily tax 'luxury goods' (just as had been attempted with Purchase Tax) - and it was someone's idea that cake and biscuits fell on opposite sides of the luxury/necessity dividing line.

Kind Regards, John

The tax is unjust.

As is the sugar tax on fizzy drinks

I only pointed out why Jaffa cakes escape it.

I can also mention balm cakes which in some parts of the country or large bread rolls/cobs/baps don't care what you call them.

But they are called cakes by some but they are not actually cakes but I think we should just ignore the existence of such things .:whistle::whistle::LOL::LOL:

Never known the government to zero rate something that has VAT*. During the early years many zero rated items went however. The first was petrol which was heavily taxed anyway in 1973 when they decided to tax tax. In other years bottled gas, paraffin, lubricating oils, and creosote were added. Not forgetting the fiasco when gas and electricity were taxed and the next government vowed to remove it only to say later that they could only reduce it to 5% once it was there.

At one time an additional luxury rate of 25% was in, in addition to the 10% standard rate. I went into a local shop to buy some batteries and he asked what I wanted them for. I queried why he wanted to know. Well he said if they are for a torch the VAT is 10%, but if they are for a radio I will have to charge 25%. I told him they were for a torch.

* One of the recently elected Malaysian government's first acts was to abolish GST (another name for VAT) which had been introduced about two years prievously at 6%.

There is a difference between zero rated for and exempt from VAT. As usual, I don't think it is supposed to make sense.
Indeed, and it can make a big difference to some businesses, if an appreciable proportion (or even all) of what they supply is exempt, rather than zero-rated. In the extreme case, if all their supplies are exempt, I don't think they can become VAT registered at all (and therefore cannot claim any VAT back on purchases).

Kind Regards, John

Thank god that was kept quiet until after the referendum. The quitters love to moan that the EU prevents UK doing things.
I thought that the referendum was after March 2016.

The interesting thing is that is was much wider-reaching than just in relation to the type of product mentioned and, in some senses, represented a clawing back of some local powers from 'the EU', before the referendum ...
.... The Prime Minister secured agreement with his European counterparts at the March European Council to welcome the intention of the Commission to enable increased flexibility for member states with respect to zero and reduced rates of VAT. ...

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but I thought JohnD was implying that no one knew about it before the election.
(As I wrote, I may have misunderstood.)

He will be pleased to note another UKIP lie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back