Online/Digital version of the 18th Edition od BS7671

Yes, but I thought JohnD was implying that no one knew about it before the election. (As I wrote, I may have misunderstood.)
Yes, but what he was suggesting no one knew about before the referendum was the announcement I linked to - indicating that the EU had agreed to allow member states more flexibility and that the UK government were going to take advantage of this to zero rate female sanitary products (and don't forget, when the Prime Minister made that announcement in March 2016, she presumably believed (as did most people!) that the referendum would result in our staying in the EU). That annoucement would presumably have tended to 'reassure' people that staying in the EU was not as bad as UKIP were suggesting.

Is it perhaps I who is misunderstanding one or both of you?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure.

What you say is true so I don't think his post makes sense.

"Thank god that was kept quiet until after the referendum. The quitters love to moan that the EU prevents UK doing things."

What you say is true so I don't think his post makes sense.
"Thank god that was kept quiet until after the referendum. The quitters love to moan that the EU prevents UK doing things."
I agree, I think. The confusing thing is that 'the quitters' actually won - which, I suppose, theoretically may not have happened had that EU 'relaxation' not been 'kept quiet' until after the referendum (if it was - I really can't remember when that issue got all the media attention).

Whatever, I think we can be pretty certain that the Prime Minister would not have done anything to 'keep it quiet until after the referendum', since it would presumably have been in her interests (as far as the referendum was concerned) to shout it from the hilltops!

Kind Regards, John

Did you see it mentioned in the Wail or the Express?

Sponsored Links
Did you see it mentioned in the Wail or the Express?
As I said, I can't remember the history of the media coverage.

However, as can be seen here ( (click here) ) there was and article about it in the Express in May 2016 (hence pre-referendum) - albeit apparently about alleged attempts by the EU to reverse/withdraw the agreement/proposal announced by the Prime Minister a couple of months earlier. There was certainly a fair bit of TV coverage, but I can't remember when.

As I was discussing with EFLI last night, I'm not at all sure who you think might have tried to 'keep this quiet' - it certainly would not have been in the PM's interests to have anything to do with that.

Kind Regards, John

it was kept so quiet that DIYnot's vociferous quitters kept moaning about it repeatedly

Surely it must have been kept quiet or, if they actually cared, they would have been up to date with the truth.

Unsurprisingly, Tranny was the worst

Post by: transam, 20 Jan 2017 in forum: General Discussion
Post by: transam, 4 Jan 2017 in forum: General Discussion
Post by: transam, 5 Nov 2016 in forum: General Discussion

it was kept so quiet that DIYnot's vociferous quitters kept moaning about it repeatedly
I'm rather lost. I think you might be talking about something other than what I linked to.

Why would 'quitters' moan about an announcement that the EU had apparently agreed to allow the UK (or any other member state) to abolish the controversial tax on the products concerned (a tax which the 'quitters' opposed)?

Kind Regards, John

could it be because they like spreading anti-EU stories?

I've even seen the banana one dredged up.

perhaps nobody was actually interested in tampon tax.

where are tranny's other threads about women's rights?

Thank god that was kept quiet until after the referendum. The quitters love to moan that the EU prevents UK doing things.
They only aren't (weren't) zero-rated/exempt because we didn't bother to do it when we joined.

Well he said if they are for a torch the VAT is 10%, but if they are for a radio I will have to charge 25%. I told him they were for a torch.
It used to be the case (maybe still is) that button cells for a hearing aid were VAT-free, but not if you wanted to put them in a calculator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back