Only in the USA, thankfully.

And the only problem I see here is the stupid woman who carried it loaded.

Not much use, if not loaded.

It does not take very long to rack the slide of a pistol.

.. something I imagine most people in this country are unaware of.. along with most other operational facts of firearms, as they're so scary, people can't bear to think about them.

Sponsored Links
If you're trained, or not in a situation where you might really need the thing.
Unfortunately, just another nobody, exercising their "right" to bear arms.

Not much use, if not loaded.

It does not take very long to rack the slide of a pistol.

.. something I imagine most people in this country are unaware of.. along with most other operational facts of firearms, as they're so scary, people can't bear to think about them.

Firearms aren't scary. People are scary.

Sponsored Links
Oddly Switzerland, where I believe it is mandatory to own a gun, has one of the highest firearm death rates in continental europe.

Pedantic point - I believe in Switzerland the gun ownership isn't mandatory, but because most of the population serve a conscripted period in the militia and are required to keep their service rifle, pistol and a small amount of army issue ammunition at home.
I think this may have changed in the last few years but the crux of the matter is in Switzerland, most people with a gun have been properly trained by the army how to use the thing.

Oddly Switzerland, where I believe it is mandatory to own a gun, has one of the highest firearm death rates in continental europe.

Pedantic point - I believe in Switzerland the gun ownership isn't mandatory, but because most of the population serve a conscripted period in the militia and are required to keep their service rifle, pistol and a small amount of army issue ammunition at home.
I think this may have changed in the last few years but the crux of the matter is in Switzerland, most people with a gun have been properly trained by the army how to use the thing.

Strange argument, being trained how to use a weapon makes you less likely to kill someone? Makes it less likely someone will accidentally discharge the weapon? How about not having a weapon in the first place, that would be a more effective preventative measure would it not?

Surely the real crime here is not keeping a gun or it being loaded but having the safety off? Anyone who has shot a pistol will know the triggers do not need a significant pull but are mostly the proverbial hair-trigger. The kitchen sink likely rolling around her handbag could set it off.

Natural selection at work. You wonder how effective a woman like that would be in a situation where she genuinely needed to use the weapon.

Surely the real crime here is not keeping a gun or it being loaded but having the safety off? Anyone who has shot a pistol will know the triggers do not need a significant pull but are mostly the proverbial hair-trigger.

That depends if it's single action or double action.. some don't even _have_ a manual safety. An increasing number, actually.

Surely the real crime here is not keeping a gun or it being loaded but having the safety off? Anyone who has shot a pistol will know the triggers do not need a significant pull but are mostly the proverbial hair-trigger.

That depends if it's single action or double action.. some don't even _have_ a manual safety. An increasing number, actually.

That's fair enough.....showing my ignorance there. Surely you need to "cock" it before you can shoot it though.

That's fair enough.....showing my ignorance there. Surely you need to "cock" it before you can shoot it though.

Not separately if it's double action, no. A lot of modern pistols are DAO and have no manual safety, but it's unlikely a 2 year old could pull those with both hands.

It was likely a single action with a manual catch, which is easily enough pushed off by the inquisitive hands of a child. It should not have been chambered or cocked carried in that manner, child or no.

What is the comparison here with knives, which I presume cause more criminal damage in the UK than guns?

I'm not anti knife, I use them most days.

But I'd not let a child have a sharp one to butter his toast for example.

Surely the real crime here is not keeping a gun or it being loaded but having the safety off? Anyone who has shot a pistol will know the triggers do not need a significant pull but are mostly the proverbial hair-trigger. The kitchen sink likely rolling around her handbag could set it off.

Natural selection at work. You wonder how effective a woman like that would be in a situation where she genuinely needed to use the weapon.

I was reading somewhere at the behest of the police force that many modern handguns in the states don't have a safety catch. :eek:

I was reading somewhere at the behest of the police force that many modern handguns in the states don't have a safety catch. :eek:

Many modern handguns world wide don't have safeties. Including the standard issue pistols used by our armed forces. They don't need them.

I totally agree with Monkeh here, for several reasons.

1/. The weapon should have not been within the reach of a minor.
2/. The weapon, if a so called automatic, should not have had the so called one in the chamber, that is a bullet simply needing the trigger to be pulled.
3/. In all weapons handling safety instructions, and I assume this to be common world wide, do NOT rely on the Safety Catch. the Safety Catch is the person holding the weapon.
4/. As for a slightly old fashioned chambered revolver, the chamber under the hammer should not be loaded in case of an accidental squeezing of the trigger, or the weapon is dropped.

Its my opinion that attitude and training of the firearms holder is paramount, certainly in all of the clubs I have visited to shoot at do not just pay lip service to safety but practice it.

As an aside, there is a vast chasm between a felon who has illegally obtained a firearm and a person who enjoys competitive shooting of firearms of various sorts

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back