1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Oops... It's smoking.

Discussion in 'DIY Disasters' started by paulandfrodo, 25 May 2011.

1. paulandfrodo

paulandfrodo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Asked by a neighbour 3 doors down from me to renew their Fenial. It was rotted and in a pretty poor state.

I set up my scaffold tower, tools up to the top. The world is fine. It's also lovely and warm - the sun is out.

Cut all the rot out, renewed everything. Prior to painting I thought I would do the right thing and remove all the paint - this thing has coats of iffy paint on it since 1890.

Got my hot air gun up. All the paint stripped. Then I noticed some smoke... The base of the Fenial, at the back (where you really can't get to it) well, it had rotted away and I'd not noticed. I looked in, oops... Embers... oops... smoke... burn...

Quick as a flash, down the tower. Knock on house - water please, sponge... The lady starts looking around the kitchen, oh, not this one, it's dirty - not sure what she thought I was doing !! That will do - that pint glass will do and ran out the house, up the scaffold - which is tricky holding a pint of water.

Splish, splash - sorted.

So, next time I do this, I will take a little spray bottle up with me ...

Tell you what - it's the best looking Fenial in the street. I'm also happy the house didn't burn down !!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. wotan

wotan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would fenial perhaps be a finial?
    decorative piece at apex of a gable?

Wotan

Sponsored Links