Oops... It's smoking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asked by a neighbour 3 doors down from me to renew their Fenial. It was rotted and in a pretty poor state.

I set up my scaffold tower, tools up to the top. The world is fine. It's also lovely and warm - the sun is out.

Cut all the rot out, renewed everything. Prior to painting I thought I would do the right thing and remove all the paint - this thing has coats of iffy paint on it since 1890.

Got my hot air gun up. All the paint stripped. Then I noticed some smoke... The base of the Fenial, at the back (where you really can't get to it) well, it had rotted away and I'd not noticed. I looked in, oops... Embers... oops... smoke... burn...

Quick as a flash, down the tower. Knock on house - water please, sponge... The lady starts looking around the kitchen, oh, not this one, it's dirty - not sure what she thought I was doing !! That will do - that pint glass will do and ran out the house, up the scaffold - which is tricky holding a pint of water.

Splish, splash - sorted.

So, next time I do this, I will take a little spray bottle up with me ...

Tell you what - it's the best looking Fenial in the street. I'm also happy the house didn't burn down !!

Sponsored Links
Would fenial perhaps be a finial?
decorative piece at apex of a gable?

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back